1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Pillars of Eternity Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 3 Apr 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Looks very promising indeed. Unfortunately, I just don't have any spare time for gaming just now, or I'd be posting the Futurama "Shut up and take my money!" gif right now :D

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Also, what an amazing few months for paradox. First cities, and now this!

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I've clocked just 13 hours on the game so far, but I fully recommend it - particularly if you were ever a fan of games build on the Infinity engine.

For me the most satisfying thing about the game is how well considered the interface is - everything works as you'd hope, you can click what you want to click, use shortcut keys for everything (including setting your own for pretty much any action in the game). It's tactical, considered, PC-centric and rewarding. It is, IMO, everything that the Dragon Age series *should* have been, but sadly wasn't.

5. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

How prominent are spiders in this? Is it possible to skip them?

I'm finding that their presence keeps on being improvingly realistic and therefore a major disincentive to buy.

6. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

I can't say I was keeping count. However, from what I recall there are quite a lot of spiders in the early stages, but they give way to more interesting enemies as the game goes on.

7. kwolf667

kwolf667 What's a Dremel?

@ NetSphere I'm afraid there are spiders from the very first dungeon onwards...

8. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Pillars of Eternity looks great, and thanks for the review. I'm not sure which to play first, Divinity or Pillars.

9. Konias

Konias What's a Dremel?

For Baldurs Gate, IceWid Dele or Neverwinters players, its a must. I bought it yestreday and I like it a lot :).

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Play both, simultaneously, on separate screens :p

Being sensible...if you must choose, play D:OS first - Pillars still has a few bugs that need working out (some of them quite serious)

11. vajoiner

vajoiner What's a Dremel?

for an alternative perspective to what everyone is saying, i put 10-12 hours into this game and just found it mad boring. nothing really held me down. i don't exactly know what turns me off about it but the battles just seemed really slow, the graphics are bland and the story just tires me. but for ^above^.. i loved divinity. it felt like i played straight through that. recently, i also loved wasteland, shadowland, etc.. and back in the day, baldurs gate and all the neverwinters were fun to me. so, i do like this genre. this game though, i just couldn't do it.

12. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Ha - I'm glad it's not just me!

The weird thing is, I'm not massively bothered by spiders in real life - the ones in your house tend to be quite small and want to run away from you, (though I'm sure I'd feel different if I lived somewhere tropical).

It's game spiders that freak me out - giant big greasy-looking aggressive things. I can't be having with all that...

13. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

And the way they flip over onto their backs and their legs shiver and curl up when they die...

Right there with you pal...

14. megamale

megamale Minimodder

The graphics look a bit dated but it reminds me a lot of Neverwinter nights so I think I will pick this one up if the engine is not very demanding, that way I can play it on the go on my laptop (with integrated graphics).

Anyone knows how this will run on a recent Broadwell processor? Or is there a demo anywhere so I can test it?

15. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Is there something like this but for someone who doesn't want to control a party? Kinda like Diablo 3 but less arcadey and more like a spreadsheet?

16. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

@megamale;
    It's a very well optimised game (also not very demanding at all) so should run absolutely fine on a laptop with a Broadwell chip. :)

After the introduction part of the story, you can actually play Pillars of Eternity without taking any party members.
    It's slightly harder if you play without recruiting party members, but it's definitely doable.

I believe that the same can be done with the Dragon Age games, once you're past all of the introductory stuff the games allow you to drop all of the party members to go solo.

17. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Finding it tedious and boring so far, hopefully it gets better once I get higher level.

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Titan Quest and/or Grim Dawn :)

Tags: Add Tags