1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project F117 (Desk Build)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Stallion, 27 Feb 2015.

1. Stallion

Stallion What's a Dremel?

Project F117 Desk Build by Ben (aka Stallion)

Pc Parts that already have are:-

Asus p8z68 v pro Gen3 motherboard
    intel core I5 2500k OC to 4.2Ghz
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Alphacool NexXxos Monsta 480 full copper Radiator
    x4 Corsair sp120 (for the Rad)
    2x Corsair af120
    Xonar Phoebus sound card

Parts still need to be bought:-

Water Cooling CPU block
    Nvidia GTX980 + Waterblock
    Tubing
    Pump
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    monitor/s
    Psu (was thinking of 800watt) + sleeved cables

Welcome to my first ever build log it took me a while to actually start to write this as I have no idea on how to, but after reading a few of your builds here I now know roughly how to go about doing this.

So I first thought of this project back in Oct 2013 when I was thinking about buying a new desk but couldn't really find one I liked so then decided to make my own, upon doing research to build a desk (yes total noob on diy) I stumbled upon PC's inside of desks and here I am now doing a build with no real experience with diy or water cooling so tips and ideas are welcome.

Then proceeded to try my first ever 3d modelling with sketchup which went quite well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now as you can see I went through a lot of changes due to my clan mates giving me ideas and info and then finished on my last one, yet still a few things not shown as I like to save a few things as a surprise later on.

After designing the basic outlay of the build I had to think of a project name, upon looking at the design I realised it had a similar shape to the f117 stealth bomber plane, I was always very interested in the design and the shape of the plane. So I found my project name and proceeded to the final design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I ordered my MDF wood (18mm thickness) which unfortunately I was unable to get from the high street stores as nobody stocked a large MDF panel I required for the desk top, I could of joined to bits together but wasn't ideal and reduced the strength of the wood so I had to buy from a timber merchant. (Pricey)

[​IMG]

So I now have my wood :p let's get cutting.

[​IMG]

Thanks to my dad for lending me his router its a great bit of kit, also had to learn how to use the thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now here is the side vents which I planned to leave a blank grove but decided to cut out small triangles and stick them in there to give it a bit more of a feature, it was small and very awkward at times but I'm sure will be worth it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've had to order the radiator (Alphacool Nexxxos Monsta 480) so I can measure it up so I can get all the cutting and routing done over summer, nexus 4 for size reference as its a beast of a rad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now unfortunately I couldn't get all the cutting and painting done before summer finished as I don't have space in the house Hence why I only just posted this log today but i started building the desk in september and going to continue with the build now.

There are things which I have done indoors over winter so keep checking back, more updates this week.

Last edited: 5 May 2015
  2. Stallion

Update

Ordered the custom glass which is 400 x 600mm 8mm depth toughened low iron clear glass with polished edges.
    Also cut out the hole in the desk for the glass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painted the top piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting build the base piece sorry for the low light images have to do it all indoors until winter blows over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also filling in all the screws and gaps.

[​IMG]

Update coming soon.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looking good. Remember the golden rule of desk building: It must fit through the doorway.:lol:

What are you using for filler? I use plaster a lot, but I found tile mastic is great for anything that might get bumped. It dries rock-hard.

4. Stallion

Thanks for the top tip yes the desk will be built with that in mind also it can be dismantled and didn't think of tile mastic might give that a go I'm using standard wood filler thanks

5. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

Great work so far, the more I see these desk builds the more I get tempted to try one out myself!

6. Stallion

Thanks and yes I contemplated for a long time but really excited and ambitious for this build now can't wait till I finish it.

7. Stallion

So made some custom dust filters for the intakes just waiting for the other half to bin some tights.:naughty:

[​IMG]

8. Stallion

UPDATE

Here is the radiator bracket/housing, this will make sure the rad only draws fresh air from under the desk and directs the hot air out.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Stallion

UPDATE

So ive done surgery on my old pc case

[​IMG][​IMG]

:dremel:

10. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Looking good fellow UK desk builder :D
    Like the shape, would be perfect in my room if i didn't have a radiator in the way :(

11. Stallion

UPDATE

@mega-deblow Haha thanks yea there is only one corner i can fit it in, the other side of the room is also occupied by a radiator :miffed: .

So finally built and painted the legs went really well with no mistakes and also added additional shelves/support in the corners and also made sure the desk can be dismantled if needed.

Also installed these amazing feet/pads on the bottom of the legs these are coated in a special plastic which makes moving the desk very easy and reduces drag on the legs when i move the desk.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Stallion

Its time for another update

Sorry for the lack of work and updates been very busy at work, so what have i done? well i've finished constructing the the main part which will house the motherboard etc had to also cut my chequered plating including cable holes and mounting holes for the motherboard tray (from my old pc).

Also did a test run to make sure everything aligns properly with the top of the desk ie the hole which it does YAY :clap:

So for the next bit i have to save some pennies up and buy things like:-
    start/stop button and switches.
    fan grills
    12V Actuators
    Reservoir/s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Re Sanded the top down again i wasnt happy with the finish thats why it looks dull
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Stallion

Decided to re do the inside part as the holes I cut out for the 120mm fans are too big for the fan grills I bought so need to make X2 more sides for the internal compartment, will show pics once done

14. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

Holy crap your photos are big. Thank god for forum resizing. Desk looks great btw.

15. Stallion

Wow your right 4000x2248 is a bit extreme :jawdrop: never noticed it due to forum reduction, i will from now reduce them.

Thanks

16. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

17. Stallion

All fixed

18. Stallion

UPDATE

So cut a couple of new holes and prepped the checkered plate for painting.

So this will be the hole for the switches im installing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This ones for the power and reset and usb 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So not a great deal but the next update will have some pics of a few goodies which a have came thru my door. :naughty:

19. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Love this desk!!! Very ambitious work sir! Well, ambitious to an idiot that couldn't build a square wooden box at least. :D

20. Stallion

I shall take that as a compliment thanks