1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Can't speak for the new divvy but when I upgraded from my 2001 Diversion to my SV1000S cruising at high speeds is far more comfortable. Where the Diversion was at 7k RPM in 6th the SV is at 5k in 5th (with 6th gear if you want to cruise at 85), just so much more pleasant for me as I do a fair amount of motorway miles. Plus the torque of a V twin means you don't have to keep changing gear if it slows down a bit.

2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Thanks! :)

Most current middleweights have a sixth gear, except it's not a true overdrive gear so the effect is lost. As to the vibration on the XJ6, it comes down to how your feet are placed and what boots you're wearing, I always wear boots with decent soles with the balls of my feet on the pegs which absorbs a lot of the vibes. Except for that 6-7k RPM range the bike is almost entirely vibe free. Oddly enough, the MT-07 has a good overdrive top gear, shame they've not released a faired version yet, but I'm sure it'll come along soon enough. Also got a video of that on my channel if you're interested.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Shall watch. So is there a 6th gear on the Diversion, and if so, is the "6-7k rpm at 80mph" thing in 6th?

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Yep. Only sort of remedy would be different sprockets but it would only move the problem to a higher speed if you lengthened the ratios.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

So I've got fuel going into my (newly refurbished) carb (at least fuelline is clear and fuel valve seems to work)but no fuel coming out the carb (spark plug stays dry) even with choke on an air/fuel mix dialed right up.

I'm stumped. :sigh:

6. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Anyone else around in the south east other than JM and RTT up for a ride/meet some time soon? Bee good to get that Bit-Tech bike meet going soon!

7. Trance

Well if you don't go too far east maybe...

8. boiled_elephant

I'm in the East Midlands, so depends how far south you are, too. Getting down the east coast is a bore, there're no direct roads to anywhere from anywhere.

What about the Prescott Bike Festival on Sunday 12th of April, anyone thinking of going to that? I'm weighing up the distance, trying to think if I can hack it or not. It's a goddamn long way from east Lincolnshire, but it sounds like a good day.

It's as far as the Tintern Abbey trek I made last year on the same bike I still have, the CBR 250R, and on that journey the posture of the bike nearly killed me. But I'm thinking I might plan an A-road route rather than using motorways, make a whole saturday of the trip down and stay in a B&B overnight. But however it's cut up, it's a ton of riding to do in two days.

edit -
    Sounds reasonable enough, do you have to tell your insurance company about modified sprockets or d'you think it'd be negligible?

9. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

They'll probably ask you to, but, frankly, if it came to a crash I think the last thing anyone would check would be the number of teeth on a sprocket.

10. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I'm based in Chichester, a little way from Portsmouth but if a day is made of it then there's plenty of distance I could trave. I know Julian and RTT are South East/London way so there's a few of us here. :)

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Could anyone help out

Looking to purchase an air filter for my 2002 GSF 600 s Bandit. Where do you guys buy from and could anyone link me a decent site

Thank you

12. Trance

I always buy from http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk

Never had any trouble :)

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thank you :thumb:

14. boiled_elephant

Oh, for anyone curious, in my ramblings around the internet trying to figure out sprocket ratios (an ongoing effort), I found this site: gearing commander, quite useful. Although it doesn't really account for peak power output, and so describes bikes going on to speeds they wouldn't actually be able to reach, it gives a rough idea of what changing your sprockets would do to your gearing and RPM at different speeds.

Meanwhile, I'm lost in Honda's line-up. I want to take a fuel-economical middleweight bike on a budget and stick a touring windscreen and panniers onto it to turn it into a light tourer. But rather than narrowing it down, my list of candidates just grows and grows. Now it includes the SV650S, V-Strom, XJ6 Diversion, and Honda have got the NC750S & X, CB500F & X and CB300F. (I've ruled out the Deauville due to crap fuel economy and weight compared to the new models).

The CB and NC lines are now so similar in virtues that I'm not sure why they both exist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's pictures of both converted into very competent-looking long-distance bikes. Same accessory ranges. Gearing site above suggests very easy-going RPM at cruising speeds on both. Fuel economy is very similar. Reviews of both bikes use so many weasel words like "user-friendly" and "comfortable" that they could be talking about the same bike. Flip a coin?

15. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I know I've had a few issues with my SV650 but I'd still HIGHLY recommend it! If you are willing to spend a few bob 'plushing' it up (clip on-risers, comfy seat, screen, suspension if you've the money), you'll end up with a grin inducing bike which is a beast on the back roads and more than suitable for long journeys. I've done nothing to mine and 300 miles in a day on motorways is pretty bearable. That and the fuel economy is pretty awesome! 65mpg before I sorted my engine - TB sync, TPS setting. I've been for two 60+ mile rides (quick but not crazy!) and my fuel light isn't on. Around 130 miles and I'm no light. means I've got at least 5 litres left! Around 50mpg-ish razzing it and I've had at least 65 on the motorway. If you can get fully faired you'll get more. Worth a look, but if you do - TEST RIDE! Make sure you don't get sold a doozy like I did. I've a friend selling his (Mint condition!) but it's a naked so probably not what you're after... :)

16. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I don't know if you've considered it already, but the ER-6F is another decent proposition. Very similar the the XJ6, but probably even more upright. Near identical power output and the only real difference is the delivery with it being a twin over a four; it's a very smooth twin though. In a similar vein you also have the Versys 650, the new version looking especially lovely.

17. boiled_elephant

Saw a GSX600F (2000 reg) in all black with an aftermarket fibre pattern seat, parked on the road today. Honest to God one of the best looking bikes, in my opinion, the fairing is beautiful. The dash is perfect, too, exactly the kind of design I love. It was in totally immaculate showroom condition except for the downpipes and front of the engine block, I simply do not know how people manage to keep bikes looking like that.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2015
  18. Xir

Xir Modder

Mine came back from the shop a couple of weeks ago...I haven't seen it this clean in years :D
    They even cleaned the chain, looks sparkling new :hehe:

19. boiled_elephant

What garage does that for you, and how much does it cost? I've often wished there was some kind of bike cleaning service. I'd have to basically empty my living room and wheel the bike in here for disassembly to do a proper job of it, it just takes too long to do outdoors in an afternoon.

I found some callout company in the London area that came out to premises to clean bikes but it was fairly cursory stuff, necessarily, because it was all done on the roadside/driveway. Not much disassembly or anything. Plus without premises, they don't have the luxury of letting it dry properly afterwards.

edit -

on an unrelated note, I see a lot of ebay auctions for bikes that say "NO TIME WASTERS, NO TEST RIDES" or words to that effect. Is this normal practice? Because to me that says, "I don't want to answer questions" and "I don't want you to try it out before you pay me". Every buyer's guide ever says: inspect the bike thoroughly, ask questions, try the bike out first. It's common sense: if a frame's warped, you'll never notice visually, but 5 seconds riding it and it'll be obvious. So are sellers who say this trying to hide something?

Last edited: 1 May 2015
  20. Xir

Xir Modder

It was my regular Aprilia garage, can't remember if they ever did it before, usually I only go there every two years for service and MOT.

Don't know how the situation is in Britain, but here, once you go below a certain pricelevel, first the Poles show up, than Turks/Albanians, than Africa export guys.
    This order by sinking worth of the car.
    The Poles are quite normal to deal with, the Turks/Albanians haggle like crazy till you're in pain and are not easy to get rid of (but still decent if you can take the constant crying), the Africa-export guys will generally try to scam you with their contract, then with legal threats, then with real threats. They're...bad.

Anyway, if the first thing you hear when answering the phone is "What is lowest price, I'm on my way already, you owe me gas money" The term "NO TIME WASTERS" becomes understandable. :D

No test rides...a no-go for private sales imho but quite normal for profesional buyers