1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals The Joystick Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 27 Jul 2014.

1. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Anyone use the g13, see them cheap on the bay regularly but dont even know if there are drivers for win7,8,10?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Probably just shows up as a keyboard but no, not used one.

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

4. suenstar

Yeah, I definitely want to create a surface that'll allow me to have quick access to all of my primary input devices.

I've been playing with the idea of two different approaches, the first being just a larger table surface attached to the existing frame (forgive the simplistic drawings):
    [​IMG]

This one would probably cost me an additional £7 for a nice top surface.

Alternatively, I could go for a completely custom built rig with either all metal or wood & plastic:
    [​IMG]
    Forgot to add that the pedals would fit between the frame feet, possibly even lock into position if I want to go a bit more complex.

5. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Looking forward to seeing more on this

6. suenstar

It'll take me a little while to do very much as I'm constantly in and out of the country from 20th April for couple of months.

I think initially I'll do the larger top option for the existing stand as that should only take a couple of nights once I pick the material and work out where I loaned my tools to.
    :hehe: Gotta start writing down who I give my stuff to.

Edit:
    I just realised I have the parts from my spare desk in my garage, so I might draw a mock-up on the top/back panel from that and have a practice cut to see how the frame handles the weight distribution. :D

7. zedshead

zedshead What's a Dremel?

sorry,., I can't see the video.:wallbash:
    [​IMG]

8. suenstar

Update, I got bored. :D
    So I started putting this together as a temporary solution whilst I plan out something more robust... though this is also pretty solid (made with parts of a dismantled bookcase unit).
    [​IMG]

The space between the two joystick platforms is roughly 40cm so should fit any TKL board.

9. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Slightly nervous first post in here.. (Student budgeting and last time I posted in a thread like this, I spent £130 on on a Ducky TKL and light caps. So much for eating that month! :duh: )

What's the minimum controls you need to use Joysticks with games like SC?

My grandad has an old Saitek Cyborg 3D that he doesn't use much, so tempted to make him an offer for it? :p But if it doesn't have enough controls on it, it wouldn't be worth it.. From what I can see, it has the (mind my nooby terms) flat twist and roll on the stick, trigger, 8-way 'button joystick' on the top (is that a hat switch? :hehe: ) three buttons around that and then on the base there's throttle, two buttons on the side and another four at the front.. Should that be enough? I could always use my keyboard a bit as well if I need to..

Just the Memories of playing Microsoft flight sim with a 'stick during my childhood made it seem a lot simpler than a mass of keyboard keys!

10. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Go for it. I can't comment on SC but for elite, you would have enough buttons to fly around. You would however need the keyboard as well and have compromises. I use all the buttons on an x55 in elite and still had to bind a few things to keyboard

Impatience likes this.
  11. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Well, Parge has once again convinced me on a sale! :hehe: For £18inc, I'd say it's a decent price for the Nostromo keypad thing! :thumb: (There was someone on ebay selling six of them at that price.. Was one left after I bought one if anyone's interested!)

12. suenstar

There is very little requirement for controls on the stick/throttle in both Elite or Star Citizen.
    Both games are designed to work perfectly on keyboard and mouse so if you wanted to start with a minor entry into using a flight stick for control then any cheap one combined with your regular keyboard inputs would be fine.

I'd definitely say have a go with your grandad's Cyborg 3D to get a feel for controlling your navigation with a stick.
    If afterwards you then want to move to a cheap stick and throttle combo, the Thrustmaster T-Flight is a nice cheap entry into the market that you can normally pick-up second hand for around £20-25.

Impatience likes this.
  13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Keyboard + stick is a perfectly reasonable way in to the whole thing. The only time you start worrying about the number of buttons/functions is when you're going full HOTAS.

Impatience likes this.
  14. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Thanks for all the help and advice guys! :thumb: I'll have a play about with the Cyborg and see of its for me first.. It may be enough for quite a while as a simple setup with the keypad thing! +rep to you!

15. suenstar

I've now swapped that table surface which was attached to the Ikea laptop stand with the home-made HOTAS mount.
    With the frame being height adjustable I'll be able to raise and lower it to suit the height of the peripherals sitting on the side platforms. Those two platforms are held on with two large screws, so can also be swapped out for larger blocks if a stick/throttle needs more room.

[​IMG]

At some point I'll grab a TLK keyboard to go on the central area of the frame, at which point the keyboard on my desk will get put to one side so I can have the Tartarus or something similar in that place.

I think while I'm using this build, I'll leave my mouse where it is on the desk as I've positioned the flight stick so that I can use it as an arm rest while using the mouse (my arm balances quite comfortably on the right black edge of the Saitek base). :D

Next step is to buy those flight pedals in the coming week and then decide if I want to change out the feet on the stand to something to fit around it.

16. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Looking good!
    My pedals are still for sale if you're interested, just drop me a pm. No worries if you got something lined up already

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

He's got my Combat Pros lined up ;) (For an absolute bargain as well)

18. suenstar

As mentioned I've already been talking to Cei about buying his pedals when I get paid this week.

Indeed, getting excited to put them into action.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

So after much messing around with the Wheel Stand Pro, I just cannot make it work for my setup.

Its mainly because space around the desk is an issue for me, this means I just cannot find a comfortable way to mount the joystick.

Its going to have to be a custom solution I reckon!

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ugh, that's disappointing Parge. I guess that's a problem with a lot of the ready made stands etc, they simply can't accommodate all desk setups.