1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

These shoes:

[​IMG]

this tv unit:

[​IMG]

and this coffee table

[​IMG]

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Mankz is onto something. First of all, they are aluminium core radiators. Also, they're not as efficient as dedicated liquid cooling radiators are. These are designed to keep engine oil from getting above ~80°C, instead of trying to keep liquid coolant as close to room temperature as possible. Copper core PC radiators are extremely efficient things.

Don't mind if I do. That's a lot cheaper than my first couple were! :thumb:

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Literally stop it.
    I'm likely to get a Play:5 or two next though.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Both play 5s for around £260 on Amazon.es... do eeet, do eet naaaauw!

FWIW though, as good as a pair of P5s is (if that's what you mean by the "or two"), it's a tough sell compared to what the same cash could get you in an only slightly less convenient package, i.e. a connect with a pair of active speakers or a connect amp and passive ones.

Source: I have a pair of P5s in the kitchen and use a connect and some active speakers in the office - both setups would tot in at around £700 RRP, but the office system thoroughly trounces the kitchen in terms of sound.

£520 for the pair on the other hand, is a bit of a different story. You could still do better for the money if you're willing to accept some compromise in convenience and a few wires, but you're not left with as much change for speakers out of £520 after you've taken out a connect, less so with a connect:amp.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Play:5s would go in different rooms as new zones, not stereo paired up or anything. I've got a decent set of speakers in the living room that will likely get a Connect added at some point.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Mine arrived at lunch. Watched a few videos, then had a go. Think I'll need a bit of practice, tho' - I still can't seem to get a decent edge on the Leatherman Charge Ti!

Something the videos (and the poorly-translated instructions) didn't explain: do you put the coloured marking at the top or the bottom of the pivot when choosing an angle?

EDIT: Never mind, I found a video from the inventor of the kit, and he says top.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2015
  7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yeah, although those are really only a guide. If you are not going to reprofile the edge then use the marker on the edge and keep adjusting until you match the factory bevel. I normally set the pivot with the yellow mark just sitting on the top of it and reprofile from that.

The key thing is to have a flat portion that you can rest on the table and make sure that it stays flat, if it tips then you can wreck an edge pretty easily. Just keep on practicing and use LOADS of water to keep the stones flushed out. Another thing that is a pretty good idea is to scribe the grit numbers into the backs of the plastic plates for each stone as the stamping will wear off the stones very quickly.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Cheers for the tips. I think I've got the hang of it now: just tried the Leatherman again, and got a lovely sharp edge. Finished it off on a ceramic sharpener, and it's push-cut sharp now. Nowhere near as sharp as you're getting - it'll cut paper without tearing, but it won't do the neato "swipe against paper and watch bits fall off" of the linked Edge Pro video - but it's a million times better than it was before!

9. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

Just got myself an additional play 3 from amazon.es, takes me to 4 x play 1, 1 x play 3 and 1 x play 5....

Tried to get another play 5 from them too, but the website wouldn't let me checkout for a play 5, it didn't like my delivery address (which the play 3 has successfully been sent to?!)
    Oh well!

10. asura

asura jack of all trades

I be rollin'...

[​IMG]

...mill. New bit of kit for the 'shop!

11. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Jeweller?

12. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited H4's for the van. One of the el cheapo factory bulbs popped the dipped beam filament last night so I'm swapping them both for a pair of these.

[​IMG]

I'm eventually going to get a retrofitting company in the UK to make a one-off set of projector housings for the van so I can run a bespoke set of HIDs, but these will do nicely for now. The Kangoo's reflectors are actually among some of the best I've seen. They're large and reflect a very good beam pattern. I just want HIDs for the higher performance and to make it stand out a bit though.

As an aside and related topic to latest purchases, I've started writing reviews for items I purchase on Amazon. I base 99% of my Amazon purchases on useful reviews from other customers, and having been a Prime member with lots of purchases for about 18 months, I'm willing to share my thoughts on some of the items I've bought so that other prospective buyers can make a more informed decision. These Night Breaker bulbs are one example of a highly rated Prime item on Amazon. I know they're good because I've used them in other vehicles before, but I also know they're good because they have an average rating of 4 stars from over 200 reviews by real world users on Amazon.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2015
  15. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Excellent bulbs, I've had them in the Celica for a while now and they're just as bright as when I installed them.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Sugru

[​IMG]

I has plenty

and a new chair!

[​IMG]

17. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Great stuff got about the same amount in my tool box have used alot of it in the past few years its great.

Got some shoes for work too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. asura

asura jack of all trades

Yea, jeweller - the little lump of silver between the rollers was cast from scrap (£288/Kg) and is now useful 0.6mm sheet @ £578/Kg. It's only a £75-ish bit, but it adds up very quickly, and if I need a thickness I don't have - no need to pay postage for it either, just roll it! With gold you pay over £1,500/Kg premium for stock against grain!*

*not that I often ever buy kilo's of gold at a time, but you never know

19. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

makita DLX2040MJ with two 5.0ah batteries

Doing some work at the girlfriends over summer including making a shed, garden deck and loft flooring so decided it was time to update my tools. Also looking at a 165mm circular saw in the same 18v range...

[​IMG]

Got myself some Surgu after seeing a post on amazons deals so will have a bit of fun playing with that too

20. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Amazon Fire Stick (got it discounted because of prime) plus controller.

First impression is that I prefer it over the Chromecast. The content is pretty quick at streaming and I prefer using the remote control over using my phone and slinging it onto the screen. Bought Terraria again and the Amazon Game Controller works well... Really solid. Am now considering a Kindle Fire as a replacement to the work iPad.

Ian