1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debian Folding with 32 cores.

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Nelio, 16 Apr 2015.

1. Nelio

Nelio What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

Long time since I've had a gander at the forums. I'm sure you've all noticed the massive decline in my production. :waah:

About 13 machines went in to production over the past month which coincided with the end of the bigadv so I've had a double whammy.

I still have a couple great systems but they weren't getting work units for so long. I can't seem to get any work units assigned on 2 of my Debian systems with 32 cores. I tested adding a 2nd slot to make it 16 cores each and they both immediately downloaded and began folding.

Anyone got any ideas what's a play here? Has the bigadv ending scuppered large core count systems or am I just being unlucky with the assignments???

Desperately trying to get my PPD back up to something more respectable for the kit I still have!

Any help massively appreciated. Shout out to Doc, HHComputers, Piers, PC_Rich and Streetsam - incredible PPDs now bigadv has left us. *jealous* :rock:

Nelio

2. piers_newbold

piers_newbold What's a Dremel?

Hi Nelio,

Sorry to hear about your drop in PPD, I was not getting good PPD until I changed my 4x computers over to Linux with the Doc's help, I sorted 1 computer out then cloned the drive to the other computers all running Gtx 970 and they are getting approx 245,000 each, I also have a 48 core Opteron setup which i used for bigadv but it is now only getting 180,000 ppd BAH! and I have the computer in my study folding as well with a Gtx970 again about 245,000 ppd.
    Oh well perhaps some form of Bigadv will come back and put all those cores to work soon.

Piers

3. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

32 core linux machines *should* be able to get Core_a5 WUs if you configure the slots with client-type="bigadv" and max-packet-size="big"

4. Nelio

Nelio What's a Dremel?

ahh, that's interesting, thanks for the info. I was under the impression bigadv was gone in its entirety. Will go check that out.

Thanks for the responses guys!

5. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

The bigadv work units are gone, however they are still producing WUs designed for high core-count machines, and these require the settings above to get assigned.

6. desertbaker

desertbaker Steady Eddie

Nelio

Also sorry to see your PPD drop - the team needs you to get those remaining machines up and running - please!

However, there is one advantage I can see to your drop. Based on today's (18 April 2015) stats I actually have an overtake date on you in 85.4 years time :naughty: :hehe: ! Not a lot to worry about there then!

Let us know how you are progressing.

7. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

LOL :hehe: :thumb:

8. Nelio

Nelio What's a Dremel?

ha ha 85.4 years...woah!

I've got two of them going again, pretty much with the same config that wasn't doing anything a month ago. Very strange.

I see Doc is pumping out some sweet numbers! Good stuff. Gona have to find my A game again!