1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMDMatt, 8 Jan 2015.

?

Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

1. I plan to buy a 4k monitor within the next month or so

5.5%
  2. I want a 4k display but can’t afford it

24.8%
  3. I want a 4k display but my graphics card/s is not powerful enough for it

18.3%
  4. I'm happy with my current monitor

33.9%
  5. I want a 4K display, but the monitor is not suitable (refresh rate/TN etc)

9.2%
  6. I already have a 4k display

8.3%
  1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Didn't know that about scaling, that's interesting and useful to know! I've been contemplating a 4K TV in the new study as a secondary display.
    +rep

Last edited: 22 Jan 2015
  2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I would have thought at typical monitor viewing distances shear size and particularly vertical height would become an issue with a 40 inch screen as a primary monitor.

I have a 40 inch TV that is frequently plugged into a computer.
    It's great for media or even browsing from a distance. However I can't imagine sitting in front of it and using it as a primary monitor, even if the PPI was manageable at that distance.

Hopefully Windows 10 will bring some high PPI scaling tweaks including legacy apps.
    I think that is necessary before 4k/high PPI displays become mainstream other than on Macs and phones.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2015
  3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This is what happens when companies like Phillips want to make some wonga from a technology before it has properly matured... or at least when they aren't prepared to put the R&D behind the product before it is mass produced and sold. Taking shortcuts, tut tut!

Even the sorriest excuse for quality control would have flagged up that horrendous problem; they clearly just don't care.

A 40" 4K non-TN screen for only £650... that's gotta trigger alarm bells for some people, surely?!

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I use multiple screens already that are greater in width and the height is only an extra 8cm, with the benefit of better resolution and no frames looks perfect to me though the banding issues are concerning, if it is an issue I will return it.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Vertically it's not really much bigger than my current 30" 16:10 screen and I find that pretty much ideal. I hate using anything smaller than this now.

It would be wider though... but then again, not as wide as 3x 1080 monitors and no one levels a 'too big' accusation at that. :)

6. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

let us know how you get on with it, thinking about getting one myself

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Will do

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ultrawide is 100% the way forward for me. This is the monitor I want:

34" Ultradwide
    3440*2160
    Freesync/Gsync
    IPS
    120hz

It doesn't exist quite yet as far as I know.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'm still perfectly happy with my 30" 1600P display - the required horsepower for 4K gaming is still a bit pricey for me, and won't easily fit in an ITX box...! ;)

10. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

That aspect ratio is a bit odd, it's not really wide, did you mean 3440 * 1440?

On that 40 you could run wide at 3840 by 1600 if you don't have gpu grunt and it would be bigger than 34, until a GPU comes out that can handle native, think we are some time away from anything top notch coming out specs are just being defined.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's shocking really, but now that I'm back to working in PS every day I don't even think I want a 30" at the moment - I'm really happy with my current setup of 26" and 20.

I totally get the gaming thing, but as I've mentioned in several threads like this before, I've gamed on my 40" TV and whilst it's great (especially for racing sims, not so much for FPS) I think I still prefer desktop gaming with something big and bright (the U3011 was wonderful in that department with super vivid colours in "game" mode).

I'll see how long this workhorse NEC lasts (hopefully a while yet) and after that my options will probably more numerous than they are now.

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Must just be you. I use PS more than most, and I hate using anything less than a 30" with a second tools screen now.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I can't explain it, because I used (and loved) the U3011... I guess it's because I'm so busy with coursework I just get on with it and the NEC is perfect (and then some) for my needs. I'd love to have PS tools on the Eizo but I have my tablet (PTZ 930) mapped only to the NEC as that's optimal for my workflow. Were I to map the tablet to the Eizo as well, I'd lose a lot of tracking real estate on the tablet (the active area is 12:9 so I'm already losing a strip at the bottom by mapping it to 16:10).

In saying that I have yet to do any digital painting on a screen bigger than 26". I suspect it'd take some getting used to working on a tablet with the higher resolution, but I'd choose that over a Cintiq any day. :)

15. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

I can't wait for 24" 4k screens. As usual laptops are getting the really high DPI screens (they had 15" 1080p screens for ages before you could get 21" 1080p screens for desktops) so when the smaller high res screens creep through into the mainstream I will be upgrading.

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

So I think I've changed my mind on this. Having seen some high dpi displays recently which have properly scaled up software running on it, I think it looks good and I'd like to have that. However, having seen the blurry mess that is software that doesn't properly support scaling on the same display I can't justify getting a 4k monitor as I need the monitor for more than just gaming.

So right now my next monitor purchase is a 27" variable refresh at 1440p (One of those lovely IPS quality 144hz ones) , which I find has a reasonable dpi for working with and gaming.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2015
  17. ak_2020

ak_2020 Minimodder

I've been running a 4k monitor now for ~6 months.

It took a bit of time to get used to the extra real estate, and a bit of tinkering to get things set up so that they appeared comfortable, but now that I'm used to it, I couldn't do without it. Even on basic desktop applications, the flexibility it offers is amazing. I can have two full sixe windows open side-by-side simultaneously, with no side-scrolling required.

18. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

I like 16x10 ips displays. A 4k screen might be ok (I have no real need) and I can wait until there are more options and the technological wrinkles have been ironed out.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

How big is it ak?

20. meisterjonny

meisterjonny What's a Dremel?

I really really fancy a 4K because when I also work on a HiDPI display on a laptop, and you can notice the difference coming back to the desktop