1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Insurance insurance insurance. This year's premium of £700 was quite enough for now :waah:

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

£700 was less than half I paid on my first year and I had a 660cc engine...

3. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I insure 3 cars for that 2l and over aswell! I feel really sorry for the 'young' new drivers of today, a big insurance rip off!

4. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

My first year was over £2k on a 1.4 diesel... It's really stinky just how much they charge. I could perhaps understand £1k for the first year, but 2 is just utter rubbish.
    and we have a pretty good postcode!

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

My first year was about 1400 quid.

Now it's about 750 quid, but I've just added my girlfriend to it and she's only had her license 1 month, was about 450 without adding her.

I was 25 though for my first year.

My cousin had to pay 2800 for his first year, he was 17 and his dad bought him a brand new polo, 1.4. so much money.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

24, passed October 2014 and started driving a month after that, group F postcode, 2.0 Celica Gen 5, £1400 a year fully comp.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

£1920 for my first year on a Citroen C2 VTS, specified 4k/year however, which brought the costs down quite a bit
    £688 currently for both myself and my mrs on a BMW 730d and 123d, with business use on the former

That's not even the silly thing though, on the first year I got the 730d it was £20 cheaper to have her as a secondary driver, at a time when she had her full license for just over a year. The following year she could not get insured on it for love nor money, because she had not had a full license for long enough (eh?). This latest time around, again it's cheaper to have her as a secondary driver.

Funny story, I know someone that was having a moan about insurance costs, mentioned how much it was and I thought that something must have been amiss (like, £3k for a cheap hatch and a 27yo female driver with no claims). Was chatting about it... in the "mileage" bit, she had put 68,000 - the mileage on the vehicle...

She had been doing this since she started driving.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2015
  8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I started, five years ago nearly, with a 1.6 mk1 Focus LX at £2200, went to an ST170 at £1200, then a Mondeo at £750. I had an accident in my ST, not big and the claim was tiny (My car was also fine), but it obliterated my first two years NCB, so I had to start again with the Mondeo. I had the RS with the ST, which was £600 a year until this year. No NCB used against the RS, very low mileage, all mods declared.

Two years down the line and I get both cars at this;

2.0l Mondeo: £450, with business use.
    Mk1 Focus RS: £400, no business use.

I just don't understand insurance at all.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2015
  9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Insurance is indeed a load of bollocks, no set pattern to it at all.

My first insurance policy in my name was a 2.0 TD Vectra @ 26 with no no claims @ £400.

From then on it has got steadily more and more expensive with each year of no claims on various diesel bangers till I got a new Sandero and my insurance is just under £300 with business usage at 32.

Think its all just stats based, drive something a bit obscure and you have a chance.

10. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Is that a Jenvey intake kit? We make a very similar looking kit from carbon fibre which we supply to Jenvey.

11. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

On the topic of insurance and newer drivers, I can highly recommend Admiral Multi Car. My insurance of £466 at the age of 23 is around £200 cheaper per year than any other individual quotes I got. That includes declaration of an accident in 2014, and a few minor (non-performance) mods.

Car is a 1.8l Honda Civic, and from what I remember, the insurance in the first year was actually the same, if not cheaper, than a 1l Corsa.

[​IMG]

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes, that's a Jenvey ITB kit with their manifold, fuel rail and trumpets (although the latter are anodised black), I think the backplate is a standard ITG sausage filter backplate which has also been anodised for the shiny. :D

FWIW I paid £1800 for my first year on my Punto back in the old days. Now I pay ~£300/car/year for insurance which isn't too bad! (Although 3 cars is adding up quite a bit now)

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ah yes, thanks. I remember now. Looks like a Renaultsport Megane 225?

I agree with you completely, it's a risk and one you have to be willing to take. My problem is that I've promised myself I won't build the GT-Four unless I can afford to fix it when it's broken and/or when it's had a mishap on track. It would annoy me more to have it sitting in a garage (after it's built) gathering dust because I can#'t afford to repair it. The car means nothing compared to health though, and you have to accept that accidents can and will happen in motorsport.

They can laugh all they want, I'll be running the same setup. Some of the stuff I'll be entering will have that safety gear as an entry requirement.

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Being old (ish) and driving a Focus TDCI has its benefits - £200 p/a fully comp.

*Does a Dad-dance*

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It looks like what's left of a Ph.1 225 Megane, but it could possibly be a 225 Trophy (can't decide from the pictures)

16. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

I know its a "hairdressers car, but at 19, driving a 1.8L rwd car can be fun while friends are driving round in financed corsa's ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Wouldn't say its a hairdressers car looking like that ;)

18. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

Definitely not a hairdressers car! when I think of a "hairdressers car" I think of the BMW z series....

Last edited: 28 Apr 2015
  19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

This has reminded me of one of my favourite Youtube builders, who's doing a 525HP LS3/T56 swap into a 2004.

Really worth a watch, he's professional as they come, concise and the videos are well shot and edited

20. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

Ahh yeah I have changed how it looks quite a bit so its a little mean, however she is going to get a bit of loving and go from approx 130bhp (started with 145bhp) but with the turbo build later this year im looking to get about 230bhp at the wheels