1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Upgrade GPU on weak CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KoenVdd, 25 Apr 2015.

1. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't the already present PCI(e) connectors get in the way of the riser? I assume the connector needs to be flush with the MB so the card fits is the slots at the back.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I see what you mean :grr:

You could push it to the bottom if you can use the x1 lane. Hopefully somebody will be able to chime in.

EDIT: There looks to be an unfilled slot between the graphics card and the USB3 Card. Is this correct ?

3. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

a PCIe x8, that is correct.
    But I think I'll stick with the Sapphire card, it should fit without to much problems. At worst I'll have to take the shroud off.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Where are you buying from? Post back when you have it fitted.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I found inrush current an unusual metric to take, so I read techpowerup's justification. Basically high inrush current can trip circuits, therefore lower is better.

Not really though. If the inrush doesn't trip a breaker then its not a problem. Anything lower than that tripping threshold is pretty much irrelevant.

6. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Azerty.nl, about the cheapest place for most parts in the Belgium area.
    Although I'm looking at Alternate.be which has about the same prices, but much lower shipping.
    But I think for now I will go for a PSU upgrade with the G550M first and the GPU later when I've got a bit more cash.

7. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Update, went ahead and got a Sapphire R7 260X (bit underclocked) cause it was the last one in stock that would fit my case. Performance definitely better (to varying degrees) and on average less power-hungry.
    But in certain games (or rather benchmarks and demoscene compo's) my old PSU is starting to make noises ranging from a high pitched whine to a electric buzz, something it doesn't do with my 4850, so I probably stick with my 4850 till I get a new PSU. Thinking of going with the Cooler Master V550S after all, more confident it will last long (and better efficiency).
    That is all of course supposing my system survives that long as my MB is starting to get wonky (SATA disks disappearing and reappearing at boot).:sigh:

8. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

9. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Excellent, thanks.:thumb:
    Do you know if the Win 8 Pro license still provides Win 7 downgrade rights? I'd prefer to stick with 7 until 10 has matured.