1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 4k VS 2K Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by towelie, 28 Apr 2015.

1. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Guys Need some opinions and thought on this.

4K VS 2K

Looking to buy this monitor 27Inch 144HZ IPS G-sync monitor @2560x1440 but it's £689! Now the problem i have is should i spend that much on a high quality 2K monitor when 4K is slowly picking up speed. My normal habit is a GPU upgrade every 2-3 years. I'm not sure 4K gaming is quite ready yet even with my 980. Not without throwing all my cash at the problem.

I also feel the 980 won't last as long at 4K, i.e in 1 year struggling to play latest AAA titles plus OS's don't fully have support ready yet, but for how long with windows 10 coming up in November or whenever.

I've had my current monitor an Acer 24Inch 1080p for 5 years.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/Acer-T230H---23in-Multi-Touch-Monitor-review

So all in all buy a high end 2K display or 4K display with the objective of longevity?

Also i don't understand how the 4K are in some cases cheaper!!

Rant over :thumb:

2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i think the price is high due to gsync and being ips, ive never used gsync or freesync so i dont know if im missing anything or not, i thought about 4k but didnt fancy keeping up with the gpu grunt to power it. in the end i oppted for a 34" 3440x1440 monitor and really like the 21.9 ultrawide for gaming and did ok on a single 290 untill i splashed out and bought dizzi's 980's

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Considering I paid £800 for my U2711, in mid 2010. I don't feel that massively improved version of the monitor is too expensive a single bit.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

tbf that is a pretty impressive monitor. 144hz 2k IPS monitor, with gsync...

5. towelie

what really annoys me is that most 4K monitors are cheaper, but i think that because they aren't IPS 144HZ etc which warrent a high price tag.

2K i think it is for me.

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Is there any point to 144hz 4k monitors at this time? Not at all... nothing could handle that.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm in almost exactly the same position as you towelie - I'm looking at that monitor too. I think that gsync adds somewhere in the region of £100 - £200 to a monitor and considering that it is the only IPS panel with gsync and a 144Hz refresh rate then it's in a class of its own... There is a ROG monitor that is 144Hz and gsync but isn't IPS for about £100 less.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

They say that high refresh improves things even at lower fps but I don't know if that's true or not

Possibly due to having more available slots to put you're frames.

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would stick with 2K for now. You don't need to go for top end SLI to drive it, and you won't have frustrations with poor DPI scaling and general lack of content which is yet to make 4K even really relevant. I don't think 4K will really be there for another 4 years or so... by then hardware and software will have moved on anyway. Might as well wait for the next upgrade cycle to even consider 4K.
    That Acer IPS is pretty much the only game going if you want both g-sync and good colors with an IPS for under $1000. Though, I have seen quite a lot of complaints regarding uneven backlight and bleed being fairly common on the Acers.
    Hopefully some more models will come along soon in the 2K with IPS/PLS/*VA panel with g-sync and bring the prices down a little... I can dream some of the Korean off brands will pull it off for $500 or less. Hell, I would be happy if they could at least get the g-sync card slot in them and have to find the g-sync module on my own.

towelie likes this.
  10. rollo

rollo Modder

Gpu for 4k are bearly at playable levels at the settings people want. A couple of 980ti will probably be the first gpus outside of 2 Titans that offer playable fps levels.

If 4k takes off the way they want then you will be able to get a good 4k screen for pretty cheap.

Or will it be like 3d good in cinema not so good at home.

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That monitor is, in my eyes, easily the best monitor on the market, and the only one I'd even consider.

Which technology do you prefer it what it really comes down too, I'd personally much rather have GSYNC than 4K.

12. GeorgeK

I'm keeping my eye on this thread to see how the early adopters get on with theirs - most are getting theirs today.

13. towelie

Right Thanks IvanIvanovich you pretty much backup up my stance, 4K not ready yet and everyone else is supporting my option for this monitor.

The good news is it is now purchasable from Scan / Overclockers. So i have bought it:rock:, delivery tomorrow along with a new rig details below. H80I will actually be moving with my rig in my signature to act as a server.

Scan Bundle for new rig.
    Asus Z97 Maximus VII Ranger Motherboard + 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD + 8GB Ram + i5 4690K + H80i Cooler Bundle £588.68 inc VAT

27" Acer Predator XB270HU 2K 144Hz G-Sync IPS DisplayPort 2560x1440 350cd/m2 100M:1 4ms Speakers USB3 Hub £689.12 inc VAT

Will update on performance etc

Cheers dudes super excited to get this setup.:thumb:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I was under the impression to be honest that Acer were a budget brand, with a reputation for, not exactly built in obsolescence, but rather cheap build quality prone to failure.

Specs can lie, but that monitor is pretty highly specced, more so than just exagerating; providing good reviews follow it, it looks epic. And yes, it isn't cheap, so Acer, or at least my perceived Acer reputation, may be irrelevant.

16. towelie

@laww99 Your not the first person to bash Acer, so maybe there is some truth to it. All i know is my current monitor an ACER T230h has done me proud for the last 5 years. At this price is better be the beeezzz kneeezzz.

17. GeorgeK

I'd be very interested to find out what your impressions of the screen are - the thread over at overclockers seems to have a few people not so impressed with theirs...

18. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Look up tftcentral for a detailed technical review.

19. towelie

It's amazing , picture is crystal clear! You really notice the color difference all over, even menu's look great! Whites are so dam white!! Darks are as black as my soul.

Been playing GTA V and wow that awesome to.

Let me calm down and use it for a few days to settle the Er ma Gerd it's new and give a more balanced review. Also bare in mind I've come from a low to medium end 5 years old monitor to this , so the comparison it like a brick in the face.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I upgraded my monitor choice recently and the ROG is great. The 144Hz plus Gsync makes a massive difference and is great for FPS games like HL and CS.

At the same time I also bought the Gsync 4K from Acer. I used it for a few days while configuring my PC but not used it since. The ROG resolution compared to my 4K doesnt really make that much difference - although I really should put one great looking game on both to compare properly.

I have no experience of IPS panels unless one of these already is, I have no idea.

Side note: having received the Acer 4k with one stuck green pixel left-of-center of the screen, I will be very wary of buying monitors in future that dont come with zero dead pixel guarantees. I really dont agree with manufacturers policies that its ok to take considerable amounts of money from consumers and supply a monitor with dead pixels - it isnt.

Last edited: 1 May 2015