1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any builders here? Need deck advice

Discussion in 'General' started by dynamis_dk, 27 Apr 2015.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

[​IMG]

Red = Posts
    Green= New beams underneath your current setup.

That is roughly how I built mine, please only use it as a rough guide as its also dependent on site specifics etc.

Closest image I could find on google construction wise
    [​IMG]

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

[​IMG]

So from the ideas which have been suggested something like above?

We do have a bit of a space issue as there is only about 3-6 inch between the joists which support the decking planks and the ground so to put in beams under for the joists to sit on would take a fair bit of digging. My original plan was to have everything together on one level and use joist hangers along with using small sections of wood to join each joist to the next around half way to stiffen up the deck keeping it all tied together.

I'm wondering if maybe using slabs like in yodasarmpit image maybe a solution so I can bed in a row of slabs half way, using those to support a middle beam then the supports furthest from the house can be dug in post as we have the clearance.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You're last bit about the slabs is the way to go if you are that close to the ground. I done a friends garden aprox 9 x 5 meters and propped it all on slabs , no posts at all.As log as the ground underneath is reasonably solid it won't drop or sag.

Couple of pics.. If anyone is wondering why there is a row all in a line not staggered thats for access to the drain cover below. It's framed out and double trimmed t provide support.

Plus if you are using 150 x 50 joists on hangers it will be very rigid anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Apr 2015
  4. dynamis_dk

I might go down that route then, ground is very solid as its partly made up of the brick bits and rubble from when building work was taken on by the previous owners so when my girlfriend got the house they levelled it out the best they could but it will be a sod to dig and we already have a bunch of spare slabs from where a garage was laid on the land before so hopefully will save a few £££ too

5. bulldogjeff

This is what I mean. It's in frames with 600 centers and doubled up down the center and staggered.

[​IMG]

6. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Cracking workforce you've got there!

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Although there is a layer of slabs there are 6 upright posts, concreted in, which hold 4 horizontal beams upon which the joists are placed. I've since added small posts under each joist resting on the slabs for additional stability.

The area is 5.85m x 3.65m

8. bulldogjeff

My friends boys. They like to help and they're cheap :D

9. asura

asura jack of all trades

Another (overkill?) solution if depth is a real concern is to build a stub wall, concrete blocks are (small ones) 440-215-100. Dig a trench - depth based on sub soil conditions mix up some concrete (you can do this in the trench if you're willing) stack your blocks staggered, bit of DPM/DPC where the joist meets the block, add dwangs to keep it rigid. Probably 125-300 concrete found with, two layers of blocks, though it may only take one.

At 2200 (less, set the blocks back 300 or there abouts) you'll do it in a single span.

If you're using joist hangers, forget about cantilevering the edges. That dog won't hunt.

Or you could put in a perimeter drain, build up the ground level with hardcore, and lay some nice slate slabs?

10. dynamis_dk

Thanks again for the input guys, here's the area it will go in and a quick mock up I did so she had an rough idea what the end product might look like

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. bulldogjeff

Looking at what you have there, most of the ideas of posts etc are totally unnecessary.
    You have about 6 inches to the door step on the left.

Unless you are lifting the slabs that will be your starting point.

I would use 4x2 bearers and small slabs on the mud to get it all level. Then put the decking on. Its so low that securing it to the house will just be a waste of time and effort.

What you have to remember is that what ever size bearers you use you will have to add about 22mm for the decking, so coming straight off the floor on the left hand side is pretty close to 5 inches. Thats probably pretty close to the height of the door. The Last thing you need is an upwards step as you come out the door. You will be tripping up it non stop.
    And after you have done that a few times and thrown your lunch up the garden you'll be setting light to the decking in frustration

Last edited: 29 Apr 2015
  12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Looking at how low it's going to be, I'd say a frame on top of slabs would be just fine.

13. asura

asura jack of all trades

Those two manholes are a pain in the hoop! I presume grey on the left discharge on the right? You can either - design your frame as BDJ above, to allow access - or - ignore them, but face partial disassembly should you need to access them in the future, obviously designing out of having a joist over a MH. You should only have to lift 6-8 boards width - depending on the width you use.

Forget the drain and building up with hardcore, take off the top-soil, put down some hardcore (£20-40/tone) , blitz it with a whacker plate (£25/day Jewsons) and a screed or sand to level (40-50mm deep) with the tops of the MH - slab away. Put a little X in the top right of the slabs which cover the MH's and the job's done.

Or are you dead set on decking? Not my favourite thing as you might have guessed... :eek:

14. dynamis_dk

Yeah I hadn't focused on designing around the MH covers, hadn't given it a second thought to be honest so I'll keep that in mind. Afraid the girlfriend is set on the decking and to be honest I'm keen to give it a go as I do enjoy a bit of woodwork :)

I think I'll go with the frame as BDJ says above and just live with the fact should be need access a few screws will need to come out :D :hehe:

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Well, at least mine is now coming along.

[​IMG]

16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Probably the best advice for Deck owners.

17. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

18. asura

asura jack of all trades

Spax or bust.

19. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

With your deck boards running that way (side to side) - what measures do you have for water runoff?
    Mine are perpendicular to the house, angled down away from the house (about a 1.5-2in drop over 3m) to allow water to run off to a french drain channel underneath.

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Yodasarmpit - I see what you did wrong. You mistook a Stanley tack hammer for a real hammer.

What language is that?