1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Completed]Node - 3D Printed Case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Complx, 5 May 2015.

1. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

make the frame out of wood...cheap n easy to do :) love this project!!

2. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

Back with a quick update on the status of this project. I got a call back from one of the printers I have been shopping this case around to, to try and get it printed. The cheapest they could do it for was around $700. While this is a major improvement in price than the 2-5K other places have been asking for, I feel that there is still a way to get the price down even further and improve the design as well.

After fiddling around with the model the past few days, I was able to come up with what you see below. This design utilizes 8 of the same 3D printed pieces with an internal acrylic or aluminum structure. This will allow me to utilize most of the acrylic I have already purchased and had gotten laser cut.

This is still in the rough stages of the concept, i still want to figure out how to get the corners covered up so they are not as unsightly as well getting the rest of the panelling and internal structures worked out and finished.

Once the I have the final model finished, I will share the images of it and detail out how this new version improves upon the old.

More Soon!

[​IMG]

3. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Nope, this project isn't dead, just needed a few weeks to work out the logistics of everything. My last post was about how I was going to redesign the Node to use less parts, be smaller, etc. Well after spending 2 weeks looking for a 3D printer and trying to redesign the case, it became clear that it was going to be a few months worth of work again. I would have to start from scratch again and go from the ground up, and after all the time and effort I put into the current design, the thought of going back to step one was not really all that appealing.

While I was able to get a model that had some potential, there were elements about the design I still didn't like, like the lack of edge covers. This without them you had a clear view to the underside of the paneling and it just didn't look good.

So at this point I decided that the guys who quoted me at $700 to print the entire case were my best option. I was a bit hesitant at dropping that kind of money so they were nice enough to provide me with one of the larger pieces for free so I could test all the paneling.

And IM SO GLAD I DID! Every panel I tried fit like a glove, the finish is at a level where a few coats of paint will fill in the ridges and there minimal finish work. I have already ordered the rest of the parts, and I should have some photos in a few weeks.

[​IMG]

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Great news mate ! Keep us updated please :).

5. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Great work there mate!

I have been following this one for a long time, since I first saw it on another forum.

Watch out when painting 3D printed parts. I do not know if the parts are printed with SLA or FDM, but if FDM, it will suck up paint like a thirsty elephant.

In both cases, I would get a simple test piece made that you can try out on. You dont want to ruin those 700$ parts, which IMO is not that bad for all the parts you are having printed.

Have you tried uploading them to i.materialize.com to see what it would cost to do in metal?

Really like your design. I would like for nothing more than a version that could be milled from solid alu and anodized. You should talk with Mr. 3D about that:D

6. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys!

@p0Pe - Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind when going into the finish work stages. I checked i.materialize.com and the major issue I ran into was that the parts wouldn't fit on their printers, the parts are large. And who is this Mr. 3D you speak of? I'd LOVE to have a version that could be milled from solid alu...the thought alone makes me drool. If only I had access to the tools and cheap material.

7. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

UPDATE!!
    FINALLY!!! FINALLY!! After about 2 weeks of talking back and forth with the printer, I FINALLY have a quote! $500! They are FINALLY printing the pieces and I should have them in about a weeks time, so I can get back to work!

More info soon!

8. Bygone

Bygone Minimodder

Sounds great...were looking forward to it :)

9. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Agreed, however, $500 is WAY cheaper than what I have been quoted in the past. The largest part has been quoted anywhere from $280 - $565 just for the one piece. So getting the whole case printed for a total of $500, I'd call that a steal.

10. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

At the end...are you going to build up the case like your first concept or as the last one?

Subbed! :thumb:

11. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

It will look like the first concept. Which is the one I like better of the two.

Thanks for watching!

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm pretty sure you could make money producing these cases which poses the question why don't you buy / build your own 3D printer considering the amount of money you're paying other people to do it I would think getting your own set up would be cost effective.

13. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

I've thought about this at length, since I started looking to get this 3D printed. I put in fair amount of research as well on the different ones that are available to purchase. My first test was to have a buddy of mine print it on the one he had access too, unfortunately, the final pieces were less that impressive. We ended up printing parts multiple time as they kept warping and bending, and the way the orientation needed to be printed at didn't help with this either. When we had a finished set of parts, the denominational tolerance was way off, the print quality was ok, but would require a lot of finish work to make them look presentable. These were done on a makerbot 5, which is not the best thing I could have used, but that's all my buddy had available that would actually fit the parts on the build area.

In contrast, the people printing my parts now are using a $50K printer. The one part I got from them as a test part worked perfectly. Every panel fit with ease, finish work will be minimal if at all, I might leave it a natural finish to show off the 3D printing. So there is still a large gap in quality between the hobbyist and industrial style 3D printers. Don't get me wrong, if I had $50K to buy an industrial 3D printer, I'd do it in a heart beat, but I don't think the $1500-$2000 options are going to cut it for the time being.

And as far as pricing goes, $500 for the whole thing is a steal considering what it would have cost me. Im getting these parts at cost of printing, if just a tad over cost. If demand for this case is so great that it would seem like a good idea to purchase a 3D printer, I might consider it. I think I would still redesign the entire thing to use smaller 3D printed parts, as to cut the cost down as well. Only time will tell.

14. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Might want to check out the Rostock Max 3D printer. Here's an example, http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8492
    He's not using the stock hot end , but you can see how large an item you can print.

15. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I thought the same with my CNC and the first ones didn't do but I ended up building one that was up to the job for a lot less than a industrial one would cost I'm not saying you'll find it easy but it's the way to make them cheaply after the initial outlay and of course you can build all different designs, One thing I learned though is build it yourself that way it will suit your requirements

16. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

BIG UPDATE!!

All I'm going to say is that this was money well spent. I have had a grin stuck on my face for the past few hours while working on this. So happy to be able to begin moving forward wit this project again! Enjoy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

just wow

18. mitch311

mitch311 What's a Dremel?

No words.
    Just ... :jawdrop:

19. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Wow that is a stunning case! Money definitly well spent there. Not jealous! Jk jealous :D

20. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Great result - can't wait for hw shots
    Some subtle lighting would definitely be in it's place too!

Tags: