1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any Oakley people here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zener Diode, 5 May 2015.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Almost £500 including prescription lenses is a lot of money for a pair of sunglasses no matter what anyone says. I can't talk though, because my pair of rimless Oakleys cost over £400 and I don't wear them much since I started using monthly contacts.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I paid 604 USD for my Wind Jackets. You do know you can remove the gasket to get a better fit, right?

3. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Radars and M Frames are strongly curved, less curvature is better for strong prescriptions. I think you can get inserts for them though, maybe you could get inserts with some high quality optics?

Yeah it's an awful lot. I wouldn't spend that much. But when you think about it, a lot of us on here spend hundreds on GPUs for a few extra FPS, or on mechanical keyboards when really we could survive with something cheaper etc. Glasses are like an upgrade that enhances one of our senses! If we can justify hundreds of Pounds on GPU upgrades then maybe we can justify glasses upgrades : D My personal stance, having quite a weak prescription, is that the difference between a middle-of-the-line lens and a super expensive one isn't enough to justify the cost difference.

Yeah, I mean, the gasket is cool though, when you need it : D But not necessary for everyday use : D

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Oakley only does true inserts for the Ballistic M-Frame (or SI Strike package) and ESS ICE/Crossbow models (ESS is an Oakley subsidiary).

For reasons known only to Oakley they offer direct glazed only on the M-Frame/Radar/EV/Jawbreaker lines and the direct glazing is both horrible to look at and useless to look through.

It's done wonders for the sales of Smith/Adidas/Tifosi though, they do some really good inserts.

5. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Ah, that's annoying. From what I've heard, Oakley do some weird stuff to maintain their safety ratings and stuff, could have something to do with that. Companies do weird stuff that doesn't make much sense on the surface, but has a good reason. Like how Converse put that fabric stuff on the bottom of their shoes so that they'd be classified as slippers, which had lower import tariffs.