1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercool or water-not-so-cool

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jenkachu, 31 Jul 2003.

1. jenkachu

jenkachu What's a Dremel?

Waht is the deal with watercooling? Please explain to an overclocking newbie. Does it make that much difference? How easy is it to do? How expensive is it? Is it noisy? Can I use the shower while the computer is connected to it?

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Basically you pump water over your CPU and through a radiator, which dissipates the heat in a larger surface area, meaning better cooling.

Yes and no. A watercooling system can never cool below ambient temperature, but expect to see temps in the 30's on a hot AMD system (something that would usually idle low 50's with a stock HSF).

Not hard. You might need to modify your case to a certain extent to fit in all the components internally. If you buy a pre-made kit it's even easier, but better results can be had by selecting your own components.

Moderately expensive. It will cost you at least £100, more like £150 to get a good watercooling setup.

No ;)

Assuming you have a good pump and a resevoir, I see no reason that you'd want to connect your watercooling system to a shower ;)

3. jenkachu

jenkachu What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: Watercool or water-not-so-cool

Thanks for your help. It's good to know there's no danger of me being electrocuted if I have a bath and the computer's on. ;)

4. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

you are joking about the shower part right?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

loller :lol:

6. FreakOnALeash

FreakOnALeash What's a Dremel?

so...if I flush the toilet will it reboot? :lol:

7. MilitantB0b

MilitantB0b What's a Dremel?

Yes, but that has nothing to do with watercooling. :D

8. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

Yes, and if the toilet is blocked when you flush it, it will cause a buffer overflow :p