1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Wood And Copper Computer (with NOFAN CR-95C)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by pekcitron, 20 Apr 2015.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Great work.

2. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Very clean and simple. Huge lump of copper. Brushed aluminum. All of these things are good. Looking forward to seeing this finished :thumb:

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

great stuff, keep it up. would make a great HTPC this

4. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looks very elegant! Nice cooooooler

5. pekcitron

pekcitron What's a Dremel?

I could finally find a Speedfan configuration which works like a charm! I've also disabled smart fan control in BIOS, don't know if it works without

I'm glad you like it, thanks for your support :)

Thanks! This configuration is build for normal/advanced photography processing (both digital and film with huge scanned files).

I'm so happy you like it, I'm a huge fan of your work! :blush: :)

6. pekcitron

As I told you in the previous post, I found a Speedfan configuration to link the chassis fan to the GPU load (I'm mainly using the Fan Control tab in the configuration tab).

I've done deeper tests on cooling. I've added temporary mesh and filter to be more close to the final result. Here are my conclusions:
    - the BeQuiet fan works better in push than in extraction
    - filter on the BeQuiet, modder mesh on the air duct
    - HDD is still a bit hot for me (stable at 41°C), I'll drill some holes on the top aluminum plate and improved cable management
    - CPU cooler is incredibly efficient, no more than 60°C in my latest tests under OCCT of more than 10 minutes!
    - GPU cooler is the most audible component yet, I have to find a way to better manage the cooling

That's it for today, no pictures sorry (I have to buy mesh before)

:)

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Pretty neat IKEA engineering. :lol: Love the precision of your work.
    Noisy GPU: Do you think you could modify a 2nd passive sink to fit it?:naughty:

8. pekcitron

I've modified the GPU bios in order to reduce the min fan speed. But after flashing the modified bios it was still at the same minimum value (39%). :(

9. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

I have had the same problem with gpu fanspeed in the past, it seems nvidia has set up a failsafe at around 38% - depending on the model ofcourse...

A way to circumvent this is by bying the splitter cable i mentioned earlier - you would then be able to control fanspeed yourself...

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Small correction to your post. :naughty:

11. pekcitron

I'm studying to possibilities:
    • Splitting Cable
    • Fanless modification (will not be easy to find a good rad and temp could be too high)

:D

Last edited: 6 May 2015
  12. pekcitron

New piece for the SSD. I've reverted the SSD, connectors are now at the bottom instead of top, which gives more air to cool down the HDD. I've reduced the length of the SSD/HDD power connector too. I now have to find a new SATA cable angled in the other way (and black).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What a cool project! :D

Great work, too. Very clean and precise! :D

14. pekcitron

15. pekcitron

I've done some holes for the HDD and do some tests. That's better, I'm around 35°C now and the temperature react much better with the BeQuiet speed! Problem solved!

[​IMG]

Then I tried to reduce the noise of my graphic card. I've done a custom cable to regulate the card with the "Chassis Fan" connector and SpeedFan. It works but, when I boot, the fan is at 100% until Speedfan has started.

I've also check for fanless/silent coolers but I have two problems which make impossible to find a working cooler:
    • My case is quiet small and all the cooler I could see were having too long heatpipes. And, no, I will not try to cut a heatpipe :D
    • As my card is upside down, most of the fanless/quiet coolers will have heatpipes in the wrong way

There is still something to try: adding a resistor to the original cable. I'll try that later!

Last edited: 10 May 2015
  16. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

That new panel looks flawless. I think replacing the GPU fan with a high quality fan would probably be a big improvement. Maybe removing the shroud is worth at try too.

17. pekcitron

I'm thinking about removing the shroud too, but I'm not sure it will really reduce noise as the fan speed can't go slower than a minimum value forced by the bios (approx. 1400rpm, which is high).