1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Water-cooling Nvidia's Titan X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 4 May 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'll second that, I would love to know what the room temperature was, did I miss that detail in the review ?

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

jrs77 was close - Ambient was 24'C.

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Pretty reasonable tbh for watercooling.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's the expense why I don't water cool, sure that full cover GPU block looks affordable on it's own but add all the rest of the components & you could buy a good GPU or 2 if 2nd hand from last season.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

So if you have a TITAN X, which is a >$1200 card, $300 of water cooling is going to stop you? I somehow don't think so. The chances are that you're already running a high-end, if not the highest Intel CPU under water, if you can afford to get one or more TITAN X cards.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

True, wrong article to comment about the expense of water cooling. :D

I added the extra components including piping & fittings & it came just over £400, $300 = £200 would be a crap water cooling setup.

Last edited: 4 May 2015
  8. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Watercooling is expensive to start with, but you dont have to change much from build to build. I've got 3x 360 rads, multiple pumps and CPU blocks. I havent used any of it for about 4yrs, but if i was to buy a Titan X then to go watercooled would be a very sensible move. Thats essentially the reason i read this review - ive favoured the sub-£200 cards more recently and adding £80 for a block is too much for too little on these IMO. On a Titan X or 295x2 its perfectly reasonable.

Lets not forget that a 5960X, Rampage V Extreme, DDR4 RAM and a Titan X is going to be quite some outlay too, so if you can justify that expense then adding for a custom water cooling loop isnt going to be much of a stretch.

Im pretty sure £300-350 would buy you a fine CPU & GPU water cooled loop. Owning a w/c loop is like buying a quality case IMO. All my W/C stuff stems from the 8800GTX's release, so its 8-9yrs old, and i can still use it today - in fact, if i bought a 290X block i would, i just dont see the point in w/c a 2500K on its own.

9. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

It is still a lot of money and not really worth it for such a small increase in speed. The noise issue makes it a bit tempting though. My biggest concern would be ripping apart a Titan. I never water cooled a video card before but I saw my friend do it and it was pretty hair raising. His card didn't come apart easily, he had to use a lot of brute force and it was creaking with every yank. I would get a water cooled video card if it came like that though. I might do it with the new AMD card 390 if it turns out to be good enough.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sounds like he didn't know what he was doing AT ALL.

11. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Will this was an 8800GTX so different to cards today. And he got it separated eventually without any damage but it looked bad and took ages and then he had to attach the water cooling kit. Buying it already done seems something I'd gladly pay for.