1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximus VII Impact - USB Overcurrent

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by The Infamous Mr D, 5 May 2015.

1. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Hi,

I bought this mobo as part of a new build. After hooking up the CPU, RAM & PSU (not including the audio or wi-fi daughter boards) to run a pre-assembly benchtest I booted up & saw the message:

USB Device Over Current Status Detected
    System Will Shut Down After 15 Seconds

There are no USB devices attached to the physical ports or internal headers, none of the daughter boards with the audio or wi-fi are not attached. The only way to get beyond this message is to flash the BIOS using the ROG USB BIOS Flashback which only works for that boot - once reset the error reoccurs.

I've requested a replacement board but was hoping to see if any one could offer some advice on why this issue has occurred.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sometimes the physical USB ports are damaged and have shorted out, or there is some metal debris in there. It is also a fault that occurs if there is a short anywhere on the +5V USB line. Check that the motherboard is not making contact with the metal case where it shouldn't. In particular check the motherboard stand-offs.

3. Jim - ASUS

Jim - ASUS What's a Dremel?

I would say Nexxo's on the money there. If you've got it running on a non-conductive surface, i.e. cardboard, and nothing plugged into USB then it's likely an issue with the board - hopefully a replacement should sort it out.

4. The Infamous Mr D

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I've checked the standoffs & they look sound. I've tested the PSU and used a second PSU just to sanity check. Both produced the same results. Hopefully a replacement board should solve the problem.

It's a pain in the bum, this is my first major update in over six years - never goes smoothly :p

5. The Infamous Mr D

Update - new board arrived today, so far no issues & Windows is installing. I hate not knowing why the first board was misbehaving.