1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom Screws

Discussion in 'Modding' started by The Infamous Mr D, 18 May 2015.

1. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I've been looking at modding my new box & one thing I'd like to explore more about is interesting screw types. Specifically screws to replace the #6-32 mobo & PSU standoffs and/or M3/4/5 screws in use in most PC cases. Bitfenix handily included a guide to what screw threads they use in the Prodigy.

Just wondering if any other modders out there have experience with where to source funky standoffs, screws & washers and the like? I suppose I could source any number of bolts & retap the existing holes - anyone done much of that either?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Depends on what you want. Most places sell black high tensile steel and stainless steel socket cap screws. You can also get anodised aluminium screws.

For Ada I had some brass dome socket screws made by a local company, since they cannot be bought off the shelf. Cost a bundle though.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

First place I'd look would be ebay too many to list there

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Unless you have a specific reason for funky motherboard stand offs, like being on show with a clear plexi mobo tray, I wouldn't bother. 99.9% of the time once the mobo is in they will never bee seen again. Other than that as tel says ebay.. Kustom PCs used to do a few different types of the more popular screws in various colors and I know MNPC Tech definitely do them .

5. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't use non-standard fixings for a motherboard tray, or anywhere else that a standard exists, unless there was a particular reason not to. The convenience of compatibility is more important.

For decorative purposes, Pro-Bolt sell nicely finished anodized aluminium and titanium bolts (for a price).

6. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Perfect, that's exactly the type of resource I was looking for! :)