1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD Radeon GFX & DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMDMatt, 27 May 2015.

1. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

Here’s a fun fact for the day: DirectX 11 doesn't officially support multi-GPU. It doesn't prevent you from doing it, but it doesn’t help you do it. All the multi-GPU you’ve ever encountered have been robust and clever workarounds by IHVs and ISVs alike.

All of this changes in DirectX 12 with a new feature called “explicit multi adapter,” which brings more performance and flexibility to multi-GPU configurations than at any other point in the history of DirectX.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But wait, there’s more: you’ll find some of the world’s first information on confirmed DirectX® 12 games, which are AMD Gaming Evolved partners!

[​IMG]

For more information on DirectX 12 and some of the performance benefits it's going to offer AMD users, check out the PDF below.

Download Link
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/akr7bo

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Although I'm not an AMD user, I'm looking very forward to what DirectX 12 will bring to gaming.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's just a shame that it took ten years and AMD giving them a swift kick where it hurts to get them finally doing something.

Last edited: 27 May 2015
  4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This looks A-MA-Zing. It could potentially make super powerful setups affordable to those of not willing to drop £800 on a single GPU. Two 970s or equivalent for less than £500.... yes please!

SLI 970s (£480) go toe to toe with the Titan Z and the 295 - both of which cost more than £1000 on release.
    [​IMG]

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Avert your eyes Matt, AVERT YOUR EYES :hehe:

Though tbh, if you're ok with the higher power draw you could go 290X for slightly less.

6. Parge

Haha!

Yeah, just happened to use the 970s as an example because I already have one. 290x in CFX would be awesome too!

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Well that makes my decision even more pleasing going with the 970's

8. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Nice benchmark, but it's not like FPS games are that demanding.

9. Parge

Yeah, Crysis is well easy to run. I have it on Ultra at 1440p on my raspberry pi.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Not really sure he meant it that way. There is harder to run games GTA5 witcher 3 been 2 of them.

11. Parge

He dismissed a benchmark by saying an entire genre of games was easy to run.

It also doesn't make any sense in the context of what I am saying - which is that the 970s in SLI can go toe to toe with single GPU solutions costing twice as much.

He finally seems to imply that I've chosen an FPS because it supports my argument, whereas the truth is that if we looked at other genres, I'd be proven wrong.

In actual fact:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Come one people, bring your benchies.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Witcher 3 benches show SLI issue the Titan gets 46 average fps at 1080p ultra 2 980s are under 30 in certain tests. A single 980 gets 24fps.

Those averages would render SLI broken on 2 cards of the same value at the same settings. Dx12 should help a lot with those minimums.

13. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

See, I'm mostly interested in the raw DX12 performance boosts that will emerge, regardless of which company built the chip that's running it, I'm mostly CPU-limited in most applications as far as I'm capable of seeing, at least in more modern games, so the sheer reduction in Overheads from DX12 would be of substantial benefit to me personally in raw performance.

It does occur to me that if DX12 is being explicitly written to be capable of managing multiple Graphics cards; does that mean it's theoretically possible to up the number above four?

I would think it gets computationally ridiculous above a certain point, but I think people pushing for 3DMark scores (Once a DX12 variant is released) would be building some entertainingly ridiculous multi-GPU systems soon enough.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Something I've asked in other topics concerning DirectX 12. Mmm, a system with four dual GPU cards...tasty!

15. Parge

You'd have to have a board that supported more than 4 GPUs and could keep them fed via enough PCIE Express lanes.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

If AMD are making slides saying how great DX12 is going to be, is mantle going to remain?

17. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Not Mantle 1.0, as the current version is known, that's basically done all it needs to by spurring on DX12 to emerge, Mantle 2.0 is in development, but it's fairly early, as AMD are keeping it close to their chest for the moment, so there's no specifics floating about that I know of.

18. Parge

That's actually not really correct. Mantle has been rolled into vulcan, which is the next version of open gl.

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  19. rollo

rollo Modder

Mantle won't continue they laid the groundwork direct x12 will have all of its features in 1 API. And like Parge said it got merged with Vulcan.

20. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

We've talked about the future of Mantle here and here.

It's not going away. :thumb: