1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project | Eclipse | Update 2015-06-10

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ygd3n, 12 May 2015.

1. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Hello! And welcome to my first case modification project. Actually, I spend my time mostly to my own innovations and creations. But this time I'll try to make a regular case modification.

Thoughts and Idéas

My thoughts on this project came in connection with an acquaintance of mine who works at BitFenix. He offered me some of their products to work with. Hard to say no when given a free hand to tare stuff apart and make something out of it.

The case is then a BitFenix's Pandora

The idea behind this is that the inside should be dark and mysterious. The theme will also be a nature-looking. Wood elements and a little out of my favorite material aluminum. Since I always tend to want to take things as it comes, I will not reveal so much how the project will look like. Because I always tend to change all my ideas sometimes and go from scratch once again until I'm satisfied.

Hardware

[X] Bitfenix Pandora
    [X] Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
    [X] Intel pentium G3258
    [X] HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
    [x] EVGA 750ti ( or something else )
    [x] Intel 520 SSD 240GB
    [x] Raijintek Pallas
    [x] Bitfenix Pandora
    [X] Spectre pro PWM 120mm x4
    [X] Alchemy LED white 30cm
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Project Goal

Even though there is already a ready case and I'll try to do something innovative. Using my creativity I have used for my previous projects to improve or create better solutions.

Sponsorer

[​IMG]

BitFenix is a big sponsor for this project, who provides me with a lot of fine products.

[​IMG]

Mundi @ Icemodz provides me with some awesome Icemodz sleeve and other great products I'll use in this build.

[​IMG]

Katharina @ Be Quiet provides this project with Fans, PSU and a CPU-Cooler​

Updates

I mainly used to have sundays as a great update day for my other projects. Which have gone real good. As long I had something new i did. So I'll try keep the sundays as a update day.

// ygd3n

Last edited: 10 Jun 2015
  2. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

All this came in this huuge box! too big to ever fit within the picture..

But.. Here are the goodies! Bitfenix sponsored me with

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will be real intressting what I'll end up with! / ygd3n

Last edited: 12 May 2015
  3. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Here's an idea what I'll make to the case.

[​IMG]

The SSD will be visible, but I'll remove those horrible stickers from it.

The idea a little too around this cover plate is to have one part wood. And the second part aluminum. Painted black / brushed. To get a little rough / damaged look.

Then also between the pieces where they split apart. I am considering putting polycarbonate (PC) "plexi" I grind to a frosty look. Then have lights that light up dimly.

It can become quite good. Just start start building then

/ ygd3n

4. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hello! Now I welcome Icemodz as a sponsor of this project.

[​IMG]

Icemodz provides me with tons of Icemodz sleeve and other good stuff!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But a sad thing to announce. Because of complications with BitFenix Fury PSU so it will not be used in this project. When it becomes too much work to replace all the cables in the PSU, resleeve them and so on. I decided to send it back to Bitfenix.

So.. I've have to solve this PSU problem. Get a PSU that I can sleeve.

Have a nice tuesday. / ygd3n

Last edited: 27 May 2015
  5. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Mayor update today! And I need your help!

Hello again .. Now I've figured out which GPU to get sacrificed to this build. An old XFX 6950!

The idea with this GPU is that I will build a new cooler. Or rather, a "fan-shroud" and a backplate. Either aluminum or polycarbonate. Which will be housed with 2x 80mm fans to cool the GPU. The cooler should also get a dash of color on it, likewise the red detail on the motherboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now.. To the case! Bitfenix Pandora completely naked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we have the frame of the chassis. It actually feels really stable and very compact. Took it apart to make it easier to build in the "mid-plate"..

[​IMG]

The SSD, an Intel 520 240GB SSD .. Will probably spice it up a bit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.. And then we have a Z97MX-GAMING 5 motherboard and Intel G3258 that will run in 4,5Ghz and the memory.. Fury 2x4gb HyperX 1600MHz.

6. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Be Quiet as a new sponsor!

Now.. We welcome Be Quiet as a sponsor to this build!

What is a build without sleeved cables? Meaningless? Boring? .. Yes. I sure do!

When plans to try sleeve the BitFenix fury the plans were thrown right down the garbage.. So what Be Quiet did was hooking me up with this awesome PSU.. To facilitate my plans with the build. Which I'm very grateful for!

[​IMG]

World Class Quiet and Efficiency

Be Quiet provides me with this awesome Straight power 10 | 500W CM PSU... Psst.. There will be some more products arriving from Be Quiet, which will be very interesting to test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to sleeve this PSU.

[​IMG]

Here we have some stuff I will use to this project. I want to, as I said a little nature theme in this build. And when my knowledge of working with wood is minimal so I thought that vinyl would be a perfect solution. Did also get a roll of black marble sheet .. Will see where I can use it!

I need your help!

I'm not sure which combination I can use for the 24-pin connector. Feel free to comment on what you think would fit best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All for today, more will come soon .. Have a nice Sunday / ygd3n

7. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hello again. Rapid updates now when stuff pour in!

Feels really good to soon have everything at home now to begin construction. Unfortunately, I have to take everything easy on the buildi when I injured my middlefinger finger quite hard, small fracture in the middle finger of the left hand. The damage resulted in the finger also burst. So I had to do 8 stitches around the fingertip.

Maybe not the funniest story though .. But here. Have some pictures of the new components!

[​IMG]

Be Quiet!® Sent me their new Dark rock TF-cooler. BitFenix Pandora is a very narrow and shallow chassis so I needed a low profile cooler. But I wanted while not having to risk cooling ability

The cooler is a Dark Rock TF.. Be Quiet!® thought I would take and test this in my build when they thought it would fit well with my dark color theme. And I agree completely with Be Quiet!®

Quick "unboxing"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, the graphicscard!

Here we have the old AMD card .. The idea of "fan casing" I will unfortunately throw in the trashbin. I will instead do a little more industrial theme of the card.

The cooler will be painted black. The heat pipes will be the same color. The fans will instead be mounted directly on the cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, no.. no.. cat!!

[​IMG]

There, sit down!

[​IMG]

8. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Update 2015-06-10

Hej på er. Kommer med en lite uppdatering här.

I've started sleeve some cables now. An 8-pin PCI-E is completed and the 24-pin cable is disassembled and are ready to sleeve. However, I awaiting a new 24-pin connector from Icemodz. Because I do not like the 20 + 4 connector.

Has also started to put up a plexi that will cover all the unnecessary holes visible in the motherboard plate. (this will be covered in a vinyl) I also measured the cover that will be mounted over the PSU and HDD cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first time I sleeve a modular cable. Bit special there, hence the uneven heatshrink.

However, I am quite satisfied Anyway. But it was a pure h*ll with some cables to get the pins out

Have a nice evening / ygd3n