1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 390X Specs released, 8GB of vRAM, 4000+ cores

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 7 May 2015.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Matt has just reminded me that the June 16th date is still just a rumour. :sigh:

Come on Matt you know you're dying to spill the beans, we promise not to tell the rest of the Internet. :D

2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

If not the 16th, the 24th was the other day I've seen lauded for NDA expiry...

3. rollo

rollo Modder

I Just hope it's priced properly, nvidia 980ti pricing would not be crazy. Titan x level would leave it with issues for most.

4. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

will AMD get a DDR4 APU out in the market very very soon? Intel just killed you with broadwell

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

June 16th was bang on then! :thumb:

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Let's just hope it's priced sensibly - nothing like a good old-fashioned price war :) $700 is the rumour though :(

8. Parge

Carrizo is their answer to broadwell, but this is not the thread for that.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If the rumours of the 390x being a re-brand and the actual card that's going to use HBM being called the "Radeon Fury X" isn't the title of this thread a little misleading?

Note: I'm not complaining, just trying to prevent confusion.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

See what launches on that date i guess 2 rebrands would go down as major disapointment and would struggle to see where AMD goes from that position.

Launch of a new high end GPU Is what everyone wants. The fans are starting to hype it up now its up to AMD to live up to its own hype.

Published screens however real have shown it to be just below a Titan but above the 980ti will it find its pricing somewhere in the middle of those 2 or will AMD try and blow away nvidia with a sub £500 Titan performing card.

We shall see on the 16th I guess. Cant wait myself even if its just to force a pricewar.

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Thing is, I'd likely still buy a 980Ti if AMD haven't gotten heat or power consumption under control, even if the 980Ti is a tiny tiny bit slower. Plus the AIO water cooling might make it hard to fit in my FT03 full stop, making the 980Ti's blower cooler much more appealing.

AMD need to knock this out the park, basically.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

OC 980Ti are at or higher than 290X already power wise

oh and the 295X is STILL the fastest single card solution

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yes, but it is also significantly faster than the 290X. My worry is that the new AMD card may well be a tiny bit faster than the 980Ti, but be a total pig in terms of power draw and heat.

The 295X isn't a true single card either.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the 295X IS a single card - it might be be 2 GPU`s but its a single card for them

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Aside from the fact that an overclocked 980Ti's performance is up to twice that of a 290x.

and if power use is your thing...
    That's hardly worth crowing about when it consumes twice the power of a 980Ti at load.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

why not? its STILL faster ;)

17. David

No argument here on that front. I just find it odd that you'll argue the power consumption of an OC 980Ti rivals that of a stock 290x (ignoring the performance differential), then conveniently flip-flop the other way when talking about the 295x.

A little inconsistency in your arguments, no? ;)

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

not really - most of the green team supporters happily hark on about power useage - but when the fastest green card uses a lot of power the same power useage argument is either ignored or ` oh but its the fastest so who cares`.....

gtx 980 is better bang/buck anyway

19. Parge

Power consumption wise, there's not much in it between the 980ti and 290x - so if total power consumption is a great concern, neither of these cards are for you.

However, performance per watt isn't really a fair comparison, since one card was released in October 2013 and the other last week. A fair comparison will be vs the Fury or whatever its going to be called.

Both companies are hamstrung by 28nm lithography at the moment, but given the power savings associated with HBM, its possible AMD have something that offers comparable performance for approximately the same power use as the 290x. What is interesting is that on the one hand, with the AIO, power use is no longer a huge concern in terms of heat buildup, it just depends if the consumer cares.

20. David

So, the inconsistency of someone else's argument lends credibility to your use of the exact same argument? :eyebrow: :p

For the record, despite having a 780 I am not, philosophically speaking, in either camp. I'll happily jump ship, if the other team has the better card at the time of my impending upgrade.