1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The AMD Driver Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMDMatt, 29 Dec 2014.

1. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

Any idea if AMD are working on improving the awful crossfire performance in GTAV?

2. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

Can you give me a little more information about your system, the settings used and the exact problem please Bhuvsta?

3. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

Intel 2500K, 8GB 1666 MHz RAM, 2 x 290's (1 MSI Reference and 1 Sapphire Tri-X), Windows 8.1. OS on an SSD and GTA V on a HDD. I've tried with both 15.4 and 15.5 drivers.

Crossfire is very jerky and roughly half the fps of a single card at any resolution/graphics settings. If I try with full V-Sync (in Crossfire) it limits the framrate to 40 instead of 60 for some reason. Half V-Sync limits frames correctly to 30 and improves the stutter somewhat.

Other people are also having this problem:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398429
    https://community.amd.com/thread/170625

Fortunately I have managed to fix my issues. Used a third party driver cleaner and re-installed drivers.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2015
  4. AMDMatt

AMDMatt AMD Rep

Hi Bhuvsta,

I think your processor may be holding back performance, slightly, of your graphics cards in this title. Put simply, GTA V is an extremely demanding game on the cpu and 8 core/thread cpu's show a performance benefit over four core cpu's in this title. In addition to that, GTA V has a recommended system memory requirement of 16gb. It may be possible that the 8GB you have present might be causing reduced performance as well.

I would recommend keeping an eye on task manager/performance monitor and watch the cpu threads whilst you play to see if one of the cores is getting maxed out on usage. If it is, then this could explain the reduced performance once the second gpu is added.

EDIT

Oh great, you resolved the issue. Glad to hear that, thanks for letting me know. :)

Last edited: 8 Jun 2015
    Bhuvsta likes this.