1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to watercooling, would love some build help

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Th3Maverick, 8 Jun 2015.

1. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Hi guys! REAAAAALLY long time no see!

I've recently been divorced and bought up some pretty decent computer components for the first time in about a decade. I just ordered a Titan X. I want to overclock. I've already got a Corsair H100i for my CPU and it's done a wonderful job.

There are no closed loop kits that I trust with my Titan, so I was thinking of building a small open loop around the EK Titan X full cover block.

The problem is, I have absolutely no freaking idea where to start as far as ordering parts goes. I have a basic idea of what I need--small pump, small resevoir (possibly all-in-one), radiator, tubes, distilled water, some pretty colors, etc--but what brands? How strong of a pump? Are there any specific considerations I should make?

You guys have a WEALTH of experience with these things, and I figured I'd tap the best resource I know of rather than trust my Google-Fu when my card is at stake.

** Addendum: It would be cheaper and easier to get the Arctic IV. My case is already loud as HELL, though, and I'd like to be able to crank the fans down a bit. This is not exclusively for overclocking, but with the expectation of toning down my server room/bedroom a bit as an added benefit.

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I tend to pick and choose based on price, but I seem to have ended up with a lot of EK stuff, partly because I like the look of it.
    That GPU block looks nice, I've had a couple of EK ones before and would recommend them. As for the CPU, well, EK make nice CPU blocks too, but there is plenty of choice.
    Next you'll want to pick a tubing size. 3/8"-1/2" is a good compromise between maximum flow rates and ease of use. Guestimate how much you'll need and buy more than that, better to have too much... (You can also start thinking about what colours to use if that's important to you).
    I'm using a Laing DDC pump with an EK top on it. Some people say it's a bit noisy but mine dangles from one of the tubes (without touching anything) and is basically silent.
    Radiators will mainly depend on how much space you have in your case. I'd guess you'll need a 360mm rad to cool all that lot quietly, but that could be a 120 and a 240 if that's easier to fit. Thick radiators cool better than thin ones (in general, it's more complicated than that but it's a good rule of thumb). When you're planning out the space, don't forget the thickness of the fans as well. Obviously if you get more radiator than you need, then you can turn the fans down lower and run quieter.
    A reservoir should ideally be higher than every other part of the loop, so work out a good position for one, and then look at the different types available and find one that fits and looks good. As this is where you'll be filling the loop up, try and position it so you can easily get to the opening without spilling coolant everywhere.
    Barbs (or fittings) come next. Pretty much everything now has G1/4 threads on it (check before you buy!), so as long as you pick G1/4 barbs in the correct size for your tubing you'll be ok. There's plenty of choice with these as well, personally I prefer the type with a screw down compression fitting, but appearance also comes into it. Again, I really like the matt black EK ones. I also like to use 45 degree fittings as well to help with a few tight bends in my case. I'd advise buying enough straight barbs for everything, and then a couple of angled ones to give you options when you fit it. Again, if you have a spare one left over it's not the end of the world, but if you find you've run out it's bloody annoying, so, buy extra.
    For coolant, you can pickup distilled water from Halfords or some other auto store, and you just need some kind of additive to help kill algae and reduce corrosion. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the pre-mixed stuff.

I've just noticed you're in the US, so my handy links to Scan won't be much help, but I'm sure a few of the USian members can help with places to buy.
    Also I seem to have turned into an EK fanboy, I've only just realised that about 80% my loop comes from them.

Once you've got a list of parts together post it up here and we'll all cast an eye over it to double check you if you like.
    Have fun! But remember, once you get your feet wet you don't want to go back to air ;)

3. Th3Maverick

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. It put my mind at ease that I pretty much covered all the bases, and EK's website was surprisingly helpful.

I've got the 240 from the h100i mounted in the front right now. The original idea was to get a single 120, mount it on the top of the case, and create a second and entirely seperate loop for VGA. After putting together a tentative setup, it seems the vast majority of the cost involved is the pump, resevoir, and VGA block. Adding a CPU block is only $80, plus 12-15 for the fittings--only a 20% or so price increase for the convenience of having everything run through the same loop and the same radiator. Creating a second loop instead of just replacing the H100i seems counterintuitive.

Below is the setup. This is tentative based on bit-tech's recommendations, and this reseller almost certainly won't be who I buy it from--their site's just the easiest to navigate.

Resevoir/pump combo
    CPU block
    VGA block
    VGA backplate
    Radiator
    Tubing
    Fittings
    Coolant
    (yup. I know it's just distilled water with some food coloring, but I feel like I'd NEVER get a color that spot on myself.)

Thanks again for all your help.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It might be possible to re-use the radiator from your H100i, but having a quick search everyone is advising against it, because it's aluminium, doesn't have proper barbs, and is quite low flow. So unless you're running out of budget a new rad would be better. you can ebay the H100i then.
    Don't forget fans of course, handily that radiator comes with all the screws you need. Just be sure not to over tighten them so they start hitting the fins of the radiator.
    Otherwise that looks like a nice shopping list! (I have that CPU block, but in black) I did notice that EK do entire kits, so it might be worth looking to see if you can get everything cheaper like that. Plus you'll know that apart from the GPU block you'll have everything you need.
    Good luck!

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think you pretty much have everything you need a part from fans. I use a couple of 45 degree fittings to go from the graphics card to the CPU. But its definitely not necessary.

6. Th3Maverick

Thanks guys. I ordered essentially that list, except I got an additional 120 rad. I did get one set of 90 degree fittings, but I'm planning on mounting the 120mm rad on top of the case and I'm going to use those to route the lines to/from the case.

I've got TONS of fans right now. I'm considering ordering some better ones, though. They're relatively inexpensive Corsair SP120's. Any suggestions? Maybe these?

Last edited: 11 Jun 2015
  7. Th3Maverick

So...I went balls-to-the-wall and ordered a Corsair D350 and a cable sleeve kit for my PSU as well. Figured I'd might as well clean up the damned rat's nest in my current case.

Sigh. Such money, much wow.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2015
  8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I've got a bunch of the high power versions of the SP120's and they cool real good, but they're also pretty noisy.
    However, you can slow them right down and they're basically the same as the low noise version, but with head room if you need it.
    If only I'd looked closely at my motherboard and realised I could have bought the PWM ones instead of the regular 3 pin version.

9. Th3Maverick

Got everything but the new fans in over the weekend. Unboxed it all, and it's glorious. Went to clean out the radiators only to find that they are pristine and sparkling inside. I kind of love EK already.

While planning out the loop in the new case, I realized that a couple of my ideas aren't going to work, so I've ordered some different fittings. Also, the EK UV "Blood Red" is more like "Kidney Failure Pink" (didn't actually mean to order the UV anyway). So I've ordered the Mayhems Blood Red as well.