1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's orange indeed:

[​IMG]

2. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

It's so orange and shiny, is that the one with Gateron clears?

3. Shirty

That's the one! It's not quite done yet though, there are a couple of minor imperfections to rectify in the paint finish and then it'll have a satin clear sealer to finish it off before I deploy it into a live environment!

I really like it though, it's very different to my other boards.

Also, hardware macros cheesecake :)

4. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Very interesting - you have to wonder how reliable they'd be but interesting to see a non-mechanical mechanical switch...

6. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Annoyed now spot whats wrong

[​IMG]

7. Shirty

I had a similar problem here, but my biggest issue was that it was shipped from China. I had to learn patience in those three weeks :hehe:

Hopefully your issue will be sorted sooner!

8. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Need some advice please . I am considering buying a Corsair k65 at about £60 delivered.
    Would that be my best choice at about that price point ? Dont want noisy switches .
    Currently using a cherry G84-4100 but its too small to game on.

9. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

There's nothing fundamentally wrong about a K65 from a pure 'using a keyboard for gaming' perspective, assuming you like the way it looks. Cherry MX Reds are Cherry MX Reds, and if you have a fairly light tough they're pretty quiet.

If you have any interest in changing your keycaps to a custom set - many people will never do so - then the K65 is best avoided as it has a non-standard layout that's hard to find caps for.

Otherwise, it's not a bad buy at that price. The non-RGB version, I assume?

Other options would be things like a Filco (twice that price) or a Coolermaster Rapid-i (about £80 I think). Plenty more too, but those are my preferences in the 'standard TKL' space.

10. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

thanks for that , didnt know about the non std key caps so thanks again :thumb: i probably would have wanted to change em eventually. yeah non rgb . hmmm gonna have to think again.

11. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

n+1 and all that :D something shiny has arrived

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jun 2015
  12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

My keyboard use went from mostly gaming and occasional typing to typing for a living so my mushly old G15 needs to go, but I don't know whether the tactile bump in the brown switches would be a hinderance or extra confidence for me vs reds. There's no place in my area where I can test the different switches so I really need advice from the gurus.

I'd also still be using the keyboard for gaming and I heard tactile switches can be a little annoying for WASD and stuff, but that's a secondary concern for me right now. The Qpad keyboard I'm looking at is also plate mounted as far as I know so I can't pop the wasd switches out that easily.

13. Shirty

I'm really pleased with the satin sealer finish on the Cougar, it's a nice texture (rough but scratch resistant) and hides fingerprints like a boss made of cheesecake:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The colour might not be to everyone's tastes and I'm sure the super light Gaterons wouldn't be either, but personally I love it - it's partly about the history of the 'board as well of course :clap:

Megapixel version

In other news, does anyone have an ISO keycap set they are thinking of parting with? I need to dress a TKL and although I've got a few sets I fancy something different.

14. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

Well... I do have some UK Iso mods from a 1800 board that I was thinking of parting with once I fill up my TX1800 board.
    Or some ISO caps from a SkiData for that orange look. ;)

But no complete sets, sorry.

15. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Same as Jacco, I've a few partial sets but not full. The only full one I've got going spare is the Nostalgia set but that's just for 60% boards.

I've got a new 60% Alps PCB on the way, going to have to butcher an old Dell AT102W for switches, plate and caps for it but as I got the board for free I'm not too bothered :D.

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Depends on your budget, ShirtBro. (I also forgot about that hard drive given the crazy week that I have had)

I've got a couple of full SP sets from CtrlAlt that I haven't used - namely Raindrop and Reverse Raindrop which I think that I will sell. They're not cheap though - were you looking for a cheap win?

17. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Been using a Ducky Shine 3 TKL for a while now (browns) and LOVE it! Only thing i've found out is how much I play GTA V.. And how often I use the planes in it (which are controlled by, surprise surprise.. The Num-pad I don't have! :duh: )

So does anyone know of a good mech Num-pad? Or would I have better chances selling mine and getting a full keyboard? (Don't want to lose shed-loads of money, this was quite an investment for me..)

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Keep an eye out for a Goldtouch GTC-0077 on the bay. Prices fluctuate - I've seen them go for anywhere between £10 and £40. I dropped on a new one for ~£18 iirc - MX Browns.

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Do the goldtouch keypads send proper keypad codes? Am I right in thinking that if they didn't then it still wouldn't be any good for controlling the planes?

20. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Ahh, yeah.. That could be an issue. Not too sure on that side of things.. I know the normal numbers (on top of letters) dont work, so if they're re-maps of them it wouldn't work! :worried:

Out of interest, how much would the Shine 3 TKL w/Browns be worth roughly 2nd hand? (mint cond, box, accessories etc) Just thinking it may be better to get a full 'board instead?