1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 CPU pins!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by sleepygamer, 19 Jun 2015.

1. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

So yeah, I got a hold of one of these boards for dirt cheap, knowing it was untested, and I've just been examining it for the issues.

Two CPU pins appear to be bent a little out of shape. Upon looking at the pin map, it's a VSS pin and a VCCAXG pin that's a bit out. From what I can tell, the VSS pin is very redundant as a ground pin, and the VSSAXG pin is for the vcore for the integrated GPU, which I don't intend on using.

What's the likelihood that it'll function? There's also one of those retention clips for the RAM missing from one slot, but I doubt that'll cause any problems.

Thoughts?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Bend them back into shape. VSS is actually needed and the board/CPU will probably not function without it. I know for a fact that 1366 chips do not function without it.

Take a miniature screw driver to the socket and carefully bend them back into position. It's not a tough job. :)

3. sleepygamer

Hm. They have kind of... curled slightly. I did have a dig to see how strong they were, but I don't have anything suitable to uncurl them.

I might just grab a dirt cheap Celeron and see if it boots, posts and benches okay.

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

A needle or safety pin works. The other way to see if it will work is to put a cpu in it fire it up and see what happens

5. TheMadDutchDude

Can you grab a picture? It's probably an easy fix. As long as it doesn't touch any other pin and still makes contact with the pad, it'll be fine.

6. sleepygamer

[​IMG]

Got the best one I could.

7. TheMadDutchDude

That's not bad at all. They're on the edge of the socket which makes it a lot easier to work with too.

You could also use a little knife or anything with a flat edge. Just uncurl them and the board should hopefully be good to go, provided there's nothing else wrong with it. :)

8. sleepygamer

That's the hope. That one on the right is pretty sharply curled, so I'm just trying to get something to hook onto it just right.

9. TheMadDutchDude

Just be careful not to snap the pins. They're quite fragile, given their nature.

10. sleepygamer

Mm. They are fairly resilient at bouncing back, but I need to get a smaller pair of tweezers that can grip the pin to straighten it out.

I can't see any damage to anything else on the board, so I am hopeful!

11. TheMadDutchDude

Best of luck, chap. Do let us know how you get on. :D