1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Changed SSD and now computer wont post

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by thelaw, 19 Jun 2015.

1. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I upgraded my ssd and now i get a blank screen on powering up.

I had to remove my two graphics cards and my memory to access/get cables out of the way when installing the new ssd

I changed the ssd and put everything back together as it should but it still wont post. I stripped the PC and followed the same install when i first put it together, ie my sata cables are in the same order as when i first did the install.

Everything is powering up but still no post and still getting blank screens....no beeping...the lights/computer is on but no one is home.

I even tried swapping back to my old ssd but nothing.

So far i have removed one of my graphics cards leaving the primary one in...cleared the cmos with the jumper....put back in my old ssd...still nothing.

The other thing which is new is that it starts briefly, shuts down for a few seconds and turns back on....specs are in the signature.

Can anyone else suggest any other checks i need to be doing?

Last edited: 19 Jun 2015
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It sounds like it is in a power cycle, which it is failing to recover from. I'd recommend trying this:

Turn off the PSU at the back, and remove the CMOS battery. Wait 30 seconds and then put it back in. Now you can try to start it up again.

3. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Tried that no success.

I removed all the memory and reseated it..no success.

Strangely i have noticed that my CPU LED is continuously lit.

The motherboard manual states that it is a post state LED and if is lit it is highlighting a issue, which is weird because i never touched my CPU and its tightly secure under the Kuhler h20 so its not like i can bump it either taking things apart?

I took the cpu up and out...reseated it....still no luck..no post and that CPU LED is still lit...

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I had a problem with a PSU a while ago whereby nothing would start unless it had been turned off at the wall for a good long while (like overnight in some cases) - you could try that (LEDs would be on on the motherboard but nothing happened when you pressed the power button)

Edit: Actually, I just reread your first post and your rig is powering up, just not showing anything on the screen so that probably won't help :wallbash:

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The CPU is one of the very, very first things to initialise when you first turn on your CPU, so it could point to a motherboard issue too. The CPU is fine, of that I have no doubt. Is there any possible way that you statically discharged yourself on the motherboard? It's very unlikely, but it does happen.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is the CPU fan header on the MoBo still plugged in?

EDIT: Have you tried reseating the MoBo power, main one and the 8pin.

Can you test with another PSU?

7. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Yip...like i said i took everything out/unplugged it all and put it back in...making sure it was in..

I dont have another PSU saying that everything is lighting up...fans are running etc.

Question for you guys if i get a micro atx, will it fit into my gaming tower ok? Whats the difference between a micro atx vs a full size atx other than size?

I want to replace the motherboard i think but the issue is that full size lga1155s are hard to come by without spending sillly amounts of cash...ie something like the below i would look to get?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R9CRGW...c36bc67fb0bc540a2d9aa_S&dra_hfr=1&dra_ohs=0-0

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Check nothing is shorting the motherboard, front or back.

9. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

GPU six-pin cables plugged back in?

10. Cloudisfast

Cloudisfast What's a Dremel?

From what I've seen, putting a micro atx board inside a full-sized atx case works absolutely fine. Just seems to be the case of putting in less screws :). The only downside being that there are less expansion slots, SATA, USB, etc..

11. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Also make sure you haven't got a USB stick in one of your ports. This Power on/off/back on thing seems to only be with Asus boards - it happened with two of my brothers machines but they did boot up fine.

Finally - try connecting from the vga/hdmi port on the mobo and see if you get anything.

Double Finally (does that even make sense!?) - Take everything out and start of with the bare minimum to post - so that's essentially just the cpu and ram. Power on and see what happens. Add the ssd and try again, then the gpu and so on - should help you determine if one of thos components has become faulty.

Edit: Sorry just saw the age of this post!! Hope its all sorted mate