1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's Windows 10 flash-drive plans leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

if this holds true... then FINALLY.

3. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I wish games came on flash drives as well...

4. radziecki

radziecki What's a Dremel?

The company I work for, Symantec, did this couple of years ago as an experiment, when netbooks were on the rise. It didn't catch on. BUT. This is a different situation here, as it's an operating system.

That said, why would anyone bother with buying in retail, when you can just grab iso from official site and follow dead-simple instructions how to create your own bootable windows installation pendrive?

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

a step in the right direction. I have not installed from a disc since windows XP.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

Bandwidth caps and slow internet in the US comes to mind

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Never discount the power of laziness.

Why go through the (tiny) hassle of downloading an iso and setting up your own stick when you can just have it arrive ready to plug in via the letter box. Since you need to buy a license anyway...

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I do all my OS installs off memory sticks, very convenient. Like many others, I don't even have an disk drive.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

As other people have said, not everybody has ultra-fast broadband - it currently takes me about 3-4 hours to download a standard Windows ISO on my connection. If I could nip into town, I could buy a Windows thumbstick and be installing in 30 minutes or so.

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

While I can see what your saying, you have to realise the vast majority of people out there would struggle to find a guide on creating a pen drive and of those that did a lot of them would fail to get a working drive. Most would just write off the endevour as too complicated.

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

This. These are the people who want to go into a PCWorld, buy physical media and follow the instructions.

12. barbary

barbary What's a Dremel?

Me. I am that lazy. I read the article and thought brilliant that will save me having to make bootable usb drives.

You have to appreciate that for many people like my brother even following simple instructions to do something on a PC scares him to death.

Couldn't see it in the article but I assume these won't be usb 3.0 drives?

13. John_T

John_T Minimodder

It shouldn't really matter if people did only want it because they're being lazy - people are paying for it, so why not offer what they want?

No-one needs take-aways to deliver food, actually, no-one needs take-aways at all - people just like the convenience and are willing to pay for it. Why not in software?

And when I buy something I do like to hold it in my hand, it makes me feel as if I actually own it - as opposed to just renting it for a bit...