1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU power supply wont turn off

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by sumo, 26 Jun 2015.

1. sumo

sumo What's a Dremel?

Hi my computer I built 18 months ago runs smoothly the only problem which started about 2 months ago is when I shut down, the computer turns of but the power supply doesn't iv left it to see if it will turn down in its own time it doesn't
    My specs
    Operating System - Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz
    Ivy Bridge
    RAM 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Motherboard P8Z77-V LX (LGA1155)
    Graphics 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Power supply 650w
    With there being no other issues do U think I need new one
    Hoping someone can help
    Thank you

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

When you say the pc turns off the psu doesn't do you mean the fan is still spinning on the psu or just that the board is still lit abit such as leds etc?

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Some more info on the PSU would be helpful. Is it a seasonic, corsar etc etc

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

If I recall correctly, there's a BIOS setting on some boards that runs the cooling fan after shutdown. I'm pretty sure my board's BIOS has it.

5. sumo

sumo What's a Dremel?

Its corsair the fan keeps spinning I have to turn it of at the bk of the psu

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It might be that the motherboard isn't completely shutting off correctly, is the BIOS up to date?

7. sumo

sumo What's a Dremel?

I think so ill check it out thankyou

8. sumo

sumo What's a Dremel?

Updated bios still not turning of

9. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Did you add any new hardware around that time? System Fans? PCI Cards?
    I've seen this on a couple of boards with certain cards in certain slots or when I've added new fans to either the mobo or psu.

If you haven't / didn't then personnally I would check all the connections and PSU leads to ensure good connections and no shorts exist.

As others have said do you have a model number for the PSU. Most Corsairs have some form of clear decal on the side like CX600 or HX750. As a stab in the dark not knowing the PSU you could try unplugging all devices such as the GPU, case fans and hdds (non OS) to see if the system still fails to power off the PSU. If the issue no longer occurs try re-adding the devices one by one until the issue occurs. If you find it happens with one piece of hardware I'd then try switching the connector and lead used to see if it still occurs. If it doesn't it might just be a faulty lead (or partly faulty). If its modular simply remove and / or replace this lead.

10. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

That would affect the CPU fan, not affect a PSU fan. There is no such communication between the BIOS and a PSU.

For how long? Will it run for hours?

Did it used to work correctly?

It is not uncommon for a PSU fan to keep spinning for a couple minutes while it cools down completely. But it should not keep running. If the computer runs fine normally and the computer shuts down (goes into the stand-by) like it should and the PSU fan keeps spinning, then you have a faulty PSU.

You need to RMA the PSU.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It just sounds like my Enermax MaxRevo which spins for ~15 seconds after power down to remove heat when it is turned off with zero load, so that the components don't take forever to cool down.

We need more than "it's a Corsair 650w" to be able to help you determine what is going on.

The odd thing is that it just started, and I for the life of me cannot think of a reason why this would happen. Unless, the motherboard isn't fully turning off and is keeping the PSU alive. I know it is a feature on a few overclocking boards where you can turn off just the CPU for example, but not on that one.

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I'd not noticed that you said the PSU fan was the only one turning. Yeah, that sounds like a PSU problem, I hope it's still in warranty.

13. sumo

sumo What's a Dremel?

The fan spins for hours I left it on once and went out iv gone through all connectors all seem fine I think ill get another psu and see if it continues thanks for all the advice

14. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Can you not RMA it?

I pulled the following from corsairs site (http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/support/warranty):

AX Series™ PSUs have a 7 year warranty
    HX Series™ PSU Models HX520W, HX620W, and HX1000W have a 5 year warranty; all other HX Series™ Models have a 7 year warranty.
    TX Series™ PSUs have a 5 year warranty
    RM Series™ PSUS have a 5 year warranty
    CS Series™ PSUs have a 3 year warranty
    GS Series™ PSUs have a 3 year warranty
    CX Series™ PSUs have a 3 year warranty
    VX Series (Models VX450, and VX550) have a 5 year warranty
    VS Series™ PSUs have a 3 year warranty

15. sumo

sumo What's a Dremel?

Thank you Davidbrown1988 mines a rm series iv had it 3 yrs I'm going to look into the warranty