1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Safety Razors?

Discussion in 'General' started by glaeken, 20 Dec 2011.

1. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I just go across the grain under the nose (sideways) and it cleans up just fine.

2. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

I do across, down and up but always need to do right under my nose a few times, I guess I have an odd nose.

3. Pootana

Pootana What's a Dremel?

For me it's the whole art of shaving ....With Gillette you buy the cartridge foam ...shave and go

With DE razors your thinking of the quality of the with the products you use.

It's can get expensive though ...brush bowl stand ....razor..

Creams colognes. Where you save on blades you spend on other products

4. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Lol so true but shaving actually becomes more of a pleasure than a painful chore.

5. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Right all need some help and advice please.......

One question what am I missing with the DE safety razor ????

I am using a Edwin Jagger DE-89L and have tried using various blades including Feather, Dorrco, 7 O'Clocks, Astra Platinum, Sharks & Merkur. I use a hard soap that I have to work into a lather(can't remember the name)

Now don't get me wrong I LIKE THE SHAVE IT GIVES ME. I want to state that in case of purist backlash :worried:

But from my point of view, compared with a cartridge razor, it takes too long to shave and the overall shave is no different, I can get a "baby soft shave" from either type of razor. There is less skin irritation from the DE Razor but that's about it. With the DE razor I do one with the grain pass and two against the grain passes and then usually a quick spot shave on anything I have missed. This ends up taking about 30 mins. With the cartridge razor it is one pass against the grain and then a spot shave for anything missed. This is 10 mins max.

So help me out what am I missing ?????

6. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

Ive recently stopped wet shaving all together. Have a Braun 790CC that gives a good enough shave in around 2 mins. The time saved out weighs the closeness.

Before I went electric I would just give a with the grain and across grain really quickly maybe taking 10 mins total. 30 mins seems like along time to do 3 passes?

If your soap is taking awhile to lather up why not try a cream? They lather up much quicker and easier.

7. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

I'll be honest dry shave electric razors have always been poor for me so won't be trying one of those again, bad shave & major irritation and takes forever to get a smooth even shave. The lather is not the problem that takes a minute to make. It just seems to take to long for me to get a smooth 3 pass shave with the DE razor compared to 1 pass with the cartridge razor. I don't know maybe it takes that long with the single blade???

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

For me, it's about cost and irritation. Yes it does take longer, and it doesn't necessarily get closer than my old mack cartridge razor. But it's much, much cheaper to use than a cartridge razor. And I get much less irritation.

DE razors also seem to cope better with longer facial hair. So, when I'm lazy and don't shave for a couple of days, it's an easier shave with a DE (and I don't have to use my beard trimmer to shorten the hair).

ThirtyQuidKid likes this.
  9. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

+1

Multiple blades = multiple contact points, that is why I find these damn cartridges so tuggy with my grizzly like facial hairs. The DE blade with its unique edge make my shaves way more comfortable, it take longer but who cares ?

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Just bought some no-name DE and a pack of Derby Extras to shave my scalp with (I now wear a chonmage) and it was incredible. Morning ritual of shaving and then oiling my bear and hair with argan oil and I finally feel like a metahuman again.

Any recommendations on a more scalp centric shave cream? My Proraso Green is dried out, but still gives me enough lather to scrape my skull. Something with minimal lather would be nice, so I don't have to wash my hair (as I only wash it once a week or so, being Native American.)

Also, I oil my hair (Native American) and I can tell you argan oil is amazing on beards. Feels great, but I grow my bead currently, so no info on whether it helps in shaving.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What's with all the rush? Shaving is a nurturing ritual. It's a mediation (or more specifically, a man-ditation: a getting in touch with your manliness). You should take your time over it. Relish it. Bask in it. If it's a rush and a chore, you're doing it wrong.

12. megamale

megamale Minimodder

How is this taking 30 mins? I don't use a bowl, just wet the brush with hot water under the tap, brush it against the soap for 20 seconds, and apply straight to the face. Two passes, and done. Probably 5 minutes all in all (will time it next time).

That said it's not as close as a cartridge, but also irritates much less.

13. Pootana

Pootana What's a Dremel?

I feel you just have to watch with regards to going over the same area multiple times especially with a feather blade.

I sometimes use a shavette with a feather which gets a very close shave compared to a de however does come with risks

14. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Sorry to say, but from my point of view shaving is an inconvenient waste of time. Never liked it. Never found it relaxing or soothing. I just want to get it done a.s.a.p with minimum fuss. I also hate beards so can't let it grow for to long. So as I have to shave when I do I want it all gone, every single hair and as fast as possible so I can do something more enjoyable.

Sorry I can't be more positive I was hoping a DE razor would change my outlook on shaving but sadly it didn't.....

It looks as if I will be deep cleaning/disinfecting the DE-89L and passing it on to someone else who will get some pleasure from it....

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Sod that, it's a pain-in-the-arse, one of the reasons I have a full beard.:brrr:

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Shaving is the forced thing that people feel they have to do is how alot see it. Depending on where you work at Clean shave is required. Taking 30mins each morning to do would be a bit overkill for most. Id imagine most people spend less than 15mins getting ready on a morning.

I have used a DE Razor and just some off the shelf Gellette stuff, Electric shaver is the easist of the 3 takes about 2mins. Advantage of the other 2 you can use them in a shower.

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I normally shave in the evening after a shower and depending on my mood I can easily take 20 minutes or more if I decide to use a straight razor. I enjoy going through the stages, taking the time to get a good lather with a decent brush, and even cleaning the razor whilst the lather soaks in.

I normally shave every other day but occasionally it gets left a little longer, depending on what I am doing. That's one of the great things about a safety razor with an open comb guard or a straight, length of growth doesn't matter a huge amount.

If I have a lot of time then I'll break out the Rolls Razor and get one of those old wedge blades stropped up.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I used to feel like that. Then I discovered DE razors, good quality shaving soap like Proraso and good aftershave. Now I almost look forward to it.

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Shaving is a pain the arse
    Beards are a pain the arse
    Being clean shaven is a pain in the arse

My face fuzz or lack thereof is dependant on which of those 3 annoys my the least at that given moment...

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

There is 'clean shave', 'Clean Shave' & 'CLEAN SHAVE'. One could do a Double WTG in about 5-7 minutes and it would be perfectly fine for work on a daily basis. 30 minutes is when I do a 4 pass shave (North to South, East to West, West to East & South to North) & want a comfortable baby smooth skin result with near zero irritation.