1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Completed]Node - 3D Printed Case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Complx, 5 May 2015.

1. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

No CNC, 3D printing.

2. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

See it in person!

Hi all, I will be attending 2 shows coming up in a weeks time. I will be at both PDXLAN 26 and Quakecon 2015 this year and I will be bringing the Node along with me, so if you are interested in seeing it in person, feel free to stop by!

[​IMG]

7/17 - 7/20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7/23 - 7/26

[​IMG]

Hope to see some/meet people!

3. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

I really love your concept! and how it turns out!
    Really good Work!!!

4. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I was talking about the stickers. They were cut on a cnc plotter table.

5. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Oh my mistake. It's a Kongsberg XE.

6. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Sweet! Thought the cutters looked familiar. Used to work for Esko. They make a router attachment for them. We made a bunch of snowflakes for christmas with one.

7. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Oh cool! I knew that they had attachments like that, but I don't think our can do that...maybe it can but we are not setup do deal with the mess afterwards lol!

8. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Update 7/15/2015

Another update! Getting closer and closer to finishing this project, this will be the last "progress" update to the project until it is finished. I will be posting some images of the project at some of the events I'm taking it to, so keep an eye out for those.

So lets get to it!

Started testing the lighting system, these suckers are bright! RGB LEDs controlled via IR remote and receiver.

[​IMG]

This is one thing I'm not happy with and will be fixing in the future. The lights are SO bright that they bleed through the 3D printed plastic. I think the solution to this will be to disassemble the case and paint either the interior of the case or the paint all the parts to add a barrier for the light. THIS WILL BE FIXED!

[​IMG]

As with the last update, we painted the motherboard tray along with a number of other small parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SSD's Mounted.

[​IMG]

It's all coming together!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I stated before, I will be taking this project with me to a few show, and to make sure it all gets there in one piece, I ordered a pelican case to ship it all in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All packed up and ready to go!

[​IMG]

Time for a beer!

[​IMG]

After the two shows are over, I will be handing the case over to a friend of mine to do all the cabling, at that point I only have a few minor things to take care of and it will be completed!!

Stay tuned!

9. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

love it..

J.

10. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

I personally would not deem a led setup important enough to be the only reason to paint the case, in this "case", case > led's

I think i would rather find a way to control the brightness of the led kit, there has got to be a way to splice a resistor to a wire, or using a voltage regulator somwhow...

This build is so cool in general, and i can't wait to see you mimic it using wood :naughty:

11. colinmcr

colinmcr What's a Dremel?

Just read your log after seeing on MOTM, love it and voted for you. Well done its a really design. Oh and good luck....

12. DanielSandsFTW

DanielSandsFTW What's a Dremel?

Looking brilliant!

You might want to look at a BlinkStick or similar to hook up to the LEDs - it will allow you to control the colours&brightness via USB so you could dial down the intensity.

Love the build though, looking forward to seeing the end product!

13. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

I have them hooked up to a controller with an IR remote. So I have a bit of control of the brightness, I have not had the chance to play with it at length because its been in transit to the events I'm headed it.

14. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

A couple of updates on the status of the Node, nothing to crazy. So I traveled to Portland, OR for PDXLAN 26. Had a blast there, I entered the Node in the CPUMag Case mod competition, I took 5th place and was up against some very tough competition.

After that I was off to Dallas TX for Quakecon 2015. Again, I entered the Node into the Modders INC Scratch Build competition, unfortunately I didn't place in that competition at all.

A lot of people were very interested in the case and had a lot of good things to say. I'm VERY happy with the reception of the case overall, makes all the time and effort worth it!

After both events I was informed I won Bit-tech's Mod of the month for June! http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=287885 Thanks everyone for voting, I really appreciate it!

For those wondering about the status of the project, after Quakecon, I handed the case over to my buddy at Hexagon PC so he could do all the sleeving for the case. Once it is done, he will be shipping the case back to me and I can start the rigid tubing for it.

I want to thank Hexagon PC for the sleeving, he does great work!

[​IMG]

https://www.hexagonpc.com/

Thanks everyone! Stay tuned for more!​

[​IMG]
    From PDXLAN

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

looks awesome.:D

16. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

Soon™!!!! This project will be finished VERY soon, like within the next week or so. Real life has gotten in the way of me finishing this project...so a quick update while I have time. I am currently replacing the soft tubing with hard line and I had to replace the pump because it died....for some reason.

WIP PICTURES!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Kviker

Kviker What's a Dremel?

its alive!:lol:

18. Complx

Complx What's a Dremel?

COMPLETED!!

Finally get to write this post and call the project completed! It's been about a year since I started this project, starting from simple CAD models all the way to this finished product. I am VERY happy with the end result.

I want to thank all the sponsors who provided me with various parts and services over the year, you really helped make this build possible!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Wow!!! The case is gorgeous, tons of ingenuity and elegant design. I don't like the photos of it
    Bravo!!:clap::clap:

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Gonna assume he means he wants the real thing instead.:D
    Awesome, but captain anal just spotted some black o-rings in the gpu bridge.:lol: That's what you get when I look through your final pics more than once.

Tags: