1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One to get keyboard, mouse support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

About time, I have tried multiple adaptors and none of them work properly for me on the Xbox One due to most games having a "turn speed limit" built in to them.

I would love to be able to play the likes of COD, Destiny and many others with the K&M but I honestly doubt that it will be implemented in those games because of the controllers inability to respond as quickly, as mouse or keyboard.

3. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I would probably stop building gaming PCs if this went ahead...

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The PS3 also supported USB keyboards and mice, as well as other HID devices (e.g. USB gamepads and joysticks). The Ps4 also supports USB keyboard and mice, as well as bluetooth keyboards and mice, but no longer has generic USB HID support.

5. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

Saves on buying a chatpad thing for the controller.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The Xbox 360 and Xbox One both support USB keyboards for use in text entry, but you can't use it in-game. As far as I'm aware, it's the same for the PS3: you can plug a keyboard and mouse in for use with the web browser and apps like that, but they'll do the square root of eff-all when you load up Call of Duty. That's what Microsoft appears to be talking about changing (just like Sega did on the Dreamcast, as the article says.)

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Were MS planning on making a universal Office 'app'? Because if so, Xbox One - the new Office console PC thing.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Blasphemy!

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

UT3 PS3 supported Keyboard and mouse. I believe a few other games did too.

10. Gareth Halfacree

TIL. I've only ever played a handful of games on mine (Uncharted, some isometric action-RPG I forget the name of, Heavy Rain, half of Beyond: Two Souls).

11. img

img Minimodder

I never buy fps games. On my console since I find it so lacking compared to my pc. Not sure how will work in lounge though

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Yep. Support for KB&M in PS3 games is totally up to the game developer (with most not bothering, because who wants to validate a game tuned for one universal control scheme to a radically different one with complete different tuning requirements and a minuscule user-base?).
    Either the XB1 was previously actively blocking this, or are now requiring developers to add support.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Just remember that if you do that, you have to play with the people on Xbox Live.

I would pay £500 a year not to play on Xbox Live, in fact I already did.

14. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

The Xbox 1 certainly has enough power to act as a desktop office type computer, but not really very practical, though I guess with a HDMI monitor plugged in it could work if MS wanted it to.

This is probably more aimed at linking with Windows 10 better though.

15. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

It seems the older I get, the move from console gaming (widespread SNES & MegaDrive ownership) to PC gaming increases amongst my friends (scarce PS4 & Xbox One ownership). In fact I only know 1 close friend with a PS4 and he told me the other day he never plays it. I introduced him to Day of Defeat on PC many years ago and he still loves it.

Seems to me the streaming news article and this article add up to competition for Valve, but I can't see them sweating over it.