1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Purple Horizon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by easynator, 5 Jan 2015.

1. easynator

easynator What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

The tubing...
    I have been quiet in the last few weeks since I was working on the tubing routing. My original idea didn't work as planned so I had to go back and forth to find out a solution. After several tries, I finally found what I was looking for. I contacted Parvum Systems to see if we could do and it looks like it's going to work.

Here is the exact quote from imersa (Justin @ Parvum Systems)
    Precision will be the key here since 1mm or 2mm off and the whole hard-tubing design will fail. Overall, we will mod this case from top to bottom. The new game plan is:
    • First, I will need a new front panel without the power and USB holes;
    • Second, I'll need a new back panel with 2 pass through;
    • Third, we need to modify the mid wall. From the of the top motherboard to the top panel, we fold that part to the PSU chamber.‏ Thus, it will make a lot of room for the new custom reservoir and will "protect" the PSU against a leak;
    • Fourth, we create some kind of big reservoir that will sit on this new folded mid wall with at least 6 g1/4 holes‏. It will be as large as the inner case is and as tall as possible;
    • Fifth, we still do the custom bottom/floor panel;
    • Sixth, now we need to relocate the SSD and the power button. I don't think we will reinstall the USB to minimize the number of cable; and
    • Seventh, for the PSU panel, it will be cut the top part so we can see the new reservoir.

The good news is that I think it will look pretty good and will be different from the other builds. The bad news is that most of the fittings I ordered will not fit in this design (30+) so I need to re-order many of them (we are talking about 40+). The other bad news is that it's going to take a while to complete this build...

So, what do you think?

The photos
    Layout E
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom/floor panel will be similar to
    [​IMG]

First draft (not at the scale and a few mm off)
    [​IMG]

2. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Give me that purple drink!
    Great work easynator.

3. easynator

[​IMG]

The render
    I finally have something to show! It's been a while since my last update but we are getting there... The people at Parvum Systems are helping me (especially Justin/imersa) with the design and we are almost there for the first-try cut. We believe it will take at least 2 cuts to have everything aligned perfectly. Precision is the key here otherwise all my the tube-routing will look like, well, not-aligned ;)

Anyway, I've requested many modifications to the Parvum ITX "The Veer" case to fit what I had in mind.

The bottom panel
    As you might remember, the main feature will be the bottom panel. This panel will be transparent and 30mm thick with eight G1/4" thread holes. These holes will be used for inlets and outlets for the different components of the build (front radiator, memory block, motherboard block and video card block).

The custom reservoir
    We also created a custom reservoir that will be, I guess, be the second main feature of this build. It will be pretty big, in fact, it will be as large as the case. It will have two inlets and one outlet.

The panels impacted by the reservoir
    This custom reservoir impacts a few panels of the case. It will be viewable from almost any angle of the case
    • The mid-wall panel has been modified since I wanted to see the reservoir when I look at the motherboard
    • The top panel, for another view of the reservoir and the fill-port is also customized
    • The PSU chamber panel to see the other side of the reservoir is the final touch

The back panel
    I'm also going to have a custom back panel in order to connect the loop to the reservoir. The back panel will therefore be 40mm thick structured with three layers (30mm for the lid, 5mm for the purple layer and another 5mm for the white panel).

Summary
    So far, out of all panels shipped with this case (2 in the front, 2 in the back, the mid-wall, the top panel, the bottom panel, the right panel (the one with the full window) and the left panel (PSU chamber)), only the front-white panel will remain stock. Should I also modify that one? ;)

What do you think of the overall design?

The photos
    These are the render we have so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. DanielSandsFTW

DanielSandsFTW What's a Dremel?

Glad this thing isn't dead, looks brilliant! Keep it up :)

5. easynator

[​IMG]

I'm back
    I'm now ready to work on this project after a series of twists and turns. I still have a lot of things to do on that build but I'm getting there.

One thing I learned over the week-end is that I'm terrible with hard-tube bending. My previous build was using fittings and straight lines which is definitely much easier but more expensive... As for bending, I can do the easy ones, but it's a a complete disaster as soon as I need to do two 90° in row.

What's next?
    My objectives for this week is to:
    • Finish all bending (6 routes to do);
    • Order custom PSU cables;
    • Install lighting on the pump, GPU;

Current situation of the build
    Here is what the build look like as of today. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

over a year :eyebrow:

Looks great, please finish! You got my vote

I do always wonder one thing about these self made panel routing for loops (they look great btw!) How the hell do you get all the coolant out when it comes to flushing though etc?