1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Arc - Finally! Watercooling installed 29-07-2015

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Azariel, 1 Feb 2013.

1. gardnerphotos

gardnerphotos What's a Dremel?

those clips are ingenious! Nice work

2. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Not really an overpowering urge, but I'll share non the less :hehe: Its a WD 2.5" Black 750GB, SATA300, 7200rpm drive!

Thanks man!

I must say though that my mounting system of the clips isn't foolproof yet. I used a thin double sided tape to stick em to the case, which now already show signs of not being able to take the stress. However, in my enthusiasm I immediately put the cables in after sticking em on, so maybe I should have let them sit and 'dry' for a bit first before putting stress on them...

Sadly, I haven't yet been able to continue work on the case due to time constraints...

3. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

Thanks! Might finally get that samsung replaced with something less hostile :thumb:

Btw, if the tape starts really giving you grief and don't mind the clips sticking to the case rather permanently, loctite has a brilliant repair putty that's like blu-tack on acid. Just shape, stick on and leave to cure, even the smallest dab will keep a horse glued to a wall.

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 What's a Dremel?

Man, it's coming along really nice! Beautiful work!

5. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Log 20

Its been quite some time since I worked on this, but after receiving some deliveries, its finally time to get the watercooling setup in!

It might actually still take a few weeks to get it all in, but I atleast wanted to share some of the material :)

The boxes - from left to right, the pump top, CPU block, GPU block, EK Pump cover and the PWM Pump
    [​IMG]

Nice and shiny GPU block
    [​IMG]

PWM D5 pump and top+res in the back
    [​IMG]

And fully mounted
    [​IMG]

Just as a detail, the pump cover I'm using is the EK one...quite a lot cheaper than the BP one..but there is of course a difference in finishing (I guess) and it only comes in black, but that works fine for me :)
    [​IMG]

Second package contained a different set of goodies!
    [​IMG]

BP now has an entire range of fittings for acrylic tubing, :thumb: Had to wait for a bit before they became available, but very happy with em...they look great!
    [​IMG]

And of course the manditory kitty inspection
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now folks! Hope to share very soon how the full system looks :)

Thanks for watching!

6. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Now, ladies and gentlemen, THIS is a project revival.

Good to see some progress at last.

7. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Brilliant, updates :D

8. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

8 MONTHS LATER!!!!

BOOOOOOM!!!

Keep the pace up now man, you're on the home stretch!

9. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys :rock:

Just a first little warm up, a job which was left idle for far too long...the Powerbutton (luckily the ROG motherboards have a dedicated powerbutton which I could use)

Anyway....Soldering the wires (after checking 10 times where to solder em)

[​IMG]

Sleeving them (of which I forgot to make a picture, so here's one when its already installed)

[​IMG]

And finally, the button in all its red-on-black glory!

[​IMG]

Thanks for watching!

10. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Sadly, I wasn't able to keep up the pace....So...one year later, being married, and up to my ears in my work trying to do a PhD next to my normal 40h+ job, I'm back! Well, sorta :)

Just want to update you guys of the work I did over the last weekend...After having looked at the idle radiators in the case, and listening to the high pitched wirring sound of the CPU fan, I finally had enough and over the course of 2 days, whipped together the watercooling setup.

As you can see in the pics, I used the double radiator setup, arcylic tubing combined with the bitspower coupling pieces to do all the corners and of course the EKWB blocks. One of the things I had my mind set on was not bending the acrylic, and I managed :)

Personally, I'm quite happy with the end result, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that!

Ow yeah, I first had to make a bracket for the pump using my trusted DYI bending brake (which is also somewhere in this thread I believe....its really been too long since I started this XD).

So, without further adooo, the pics!

Bracket cutout of aluminium
    [​IMG]

Bent and ready to be painted
    [​IMG]

Hoorah! It fits!
    [​IMG]

As this was my first forray into acrylic tubing, I was a bit hesitant to start....for 2 years :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

Filled up and leaktested!
    [​IMG]

Running!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing now really to be done are the side panels, then its done! After 2 years :eeek: its finally reaching its end...almost time to buy new hardware you would say...But, as said, while working on a PhD, the first kid on the way, I doubt I'll be doing a lot of gaming. However, I must say, the work last weekend got the modding juices flowing again *sigh*

Too bad I'll have to give up part of the modding room to store stuff which is now in the 'soon-to-be-baby-room'...

I hope you enjoyed reading it, and have forgiven me for my long absence!

Let me know what you think!

11. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

looks great.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks good.:D I like how you got the pump tubes to line up, even if it's an accident. It looks very deliberate.
    Your update intervals are brutal.:lol:

13. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Awesome work love the tubes on the pump as mentioned above by cheapskate :)

14. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Thanks guys! Completely missed the responses...:worried:

In the mean time I had to build a new desk...but that did mean my funky system is now residing on the floor....out of sight *sigh*

More later!...maybe :p