1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Here's what's next for Windows 10
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/30/9072271/microsoft-windows-10-updates

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm one of those lucky people who had no problems. I took the data I wanted to save and copied to a second hard drive while I ate dinner yesterday evening. Then I downloaded the upgrade tool, ran it, selected the "save nothing/clean install" option, then set it to run before I went to bed. When I woke up this morning I selected my time zone and a couple other check boxes, clicked "next," and went to make my coffee.

My computer booted to the Windows 10 desktop before I left for work. I'll spend a bit of time this evening configuring my wallpaper and installing any necessary drivers, then I'll reinstall whatever software I need and copy any pertinent files back over. I should be ready for gaming this weekend.

3. matthewrblack

matthewrblack What's a Dremel?

Glad you have it working Mr Happy.

Went and reinstalled win 8.1 no extra partitions on the ssd so here goes for upgrade try 4.

10 will install and has run today from the ISO just no product key.

4. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

That would sort of make sence, when it first refused to activate the key was wrong (shows you most of the key hashed out with the last set of digits).

Still bloody odd though, was a fresh install 2 or so months ago. 2nd hand board though so may have plucked the key from there?

5. matthewrblack

matthewrblack What's a Dremel?

You sir are a champion" installed and working on 10. I had a wee unused partition lurking there, gave it a drive letter and retried the update. Hey presto. Thanks a million. Also disabled uefi boot.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2015
  6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Looks like i have no sound card driver from creative until October :wallbash:

Any way around this? third part drivers or something? or an excuse for a new sound card :D

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

So I finally have both machines running with clean installs that are fully activated, and in the process of loading programs, games and other software etc.

I have found though that suddenly I have 2 logins showing up on the login page which is preventing the auto login from happening which, I am now trying to figure out how to resolve as in the user accounts section there is only my main live account showing up, and everywhere I look there is only one user which is my live account, but the login page is showing a local account as well.

That is on both pc's and I am wondering if it has something to do with me changing the computer names so they are not "PC-XXXXXXX" and instead, are labelled correctly as "Gaming" & "Media", if that is what has caused it then it's yet another PITA issue to fix.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you tried Daniel Kawakami's version of the drivers, that's if I guessed right that it's an X-Fi.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thank you Corky42, i gave this a try but the software does not recognize my XFi card. Never mind, i might grab a new Asus tomorrow, just need to do a little research on what one for the £40 -£50 mark :thumb:

***Got this working, deleted and let windows use it's own drivers :duh: works a treat :thumb:

Last edited: 30 Jul 2015
  10. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Biting bullet on nuc now...

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

for those not being able to activate, if you forced it by using the media creation tool, it means you license hasn't been added to the activation servers yet, more are being added as time goes by

12. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Had a few problems with my upgrade but nothing a refresh couldnt sort out, still having problems with Intels gpu driver though when waking up from sleep.

Never had a problem with the earlier builds but the last 2 months Ive been having constant bsod when waking from sleep, no problems with Win 7 or 8.

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

***Update***

Well I finally figured out the reason for the 2 user logins appearing, and it was because I was telling it that I didn't want to enter the password and instead wanted to boot, directly in to the desktop without asking for a password.

As soon as I changed it back so it asked me for a password or pin, the 2nd user account disappeared.

14. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Up and running on my ASUS T100 upgrade installation without any issues. impressed so far, much faster than 8.1 on an atom processor :)

15. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Weird. So far with the "clean install" option it's been pretty smooth going except for one little irritating thing, and I'm not convinced that it's a Windows 10 issue. I installed Chrome, and for some reason Chrome refuses to import the bookmarks that I exported from the previous install. It says the import is successful, but when I close and re-open Chrome, the bookmark bar is blank and it asks me if I want to import anything.

Ended up recreating all my bookmarks by hand. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm loving Microsoft's suggested solution to the nvidia "issue"...

[​IMG]

Bummer, I guess I'll just have to throw this one in the bin :/

19. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

20. creative

creative 500rwhp

has anyone upgraded that have multiple screens? I am running 3 at work and I have backed up the drive with Acronis if it all goes wrong. Nvidia drivers are the latest W10 ones as well.