1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice ok for cheap build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jay88018, 25 Jul 2015.

1. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

Hello. An asus h81 plus board has landed in my lap for nothing, apart from a chip ( gonna drop an i5 in there), I have all the parts for a wee cheap build. Looking to the future, I want an nvidia 970 in my main rig, so would put the 680 gtx I currently have in the cheap rig. The psu in the cheap rig wouldn't be able to handle it, so iv been looking about, iv found a cheapish 650W Fractal Design Tesla R2, which has 54 amps on the 12v rail, so that covers that part, just want to double check, would 650w be ok for running this card , and the rest of the system without breaking to much sweat ??? I know it will run the machine, but id like to leave some spare room so im not running it 100% Spec will be (hopefully) 4690k or there abouts, 16 gb ram, couple of hhd's, 1 optical and the above graphic card......I recon it will only draw around 400w ish, but just want to double check before I spend any cash. cheers for reading and any replies :D

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Yes it will be fine! :)

Jay88018 likes this.
  3. maple

maple Minimodder

Looks good to me, the power supply should also be fine I think.

Also just a tip sorry if i'm being rude I make this mistake sometimes too which is to not make paragraphs

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Sounds okay. I actually used the same power supply recently in a build for a client and i've used it several times before.

Good price point and Fractal Design's power supplies are normally solid on the 12v rail. Quiet too. It'll run a GTX 670 or a GTX 680 with ease, as I've used them to run a GTX 780ti with an overclock and it doesn't really bother it.

Just to help you understand, the amperage on the 12v rail is much more important than the overall wattage of the power supply. I know people who run a GTX 780 on a 530w PSU, but it's a quality Seasonic supply for example. The quality and amperage is overall more important.Also, why 16GB of ram? There are no games that realistically use anywhere close to that.

You should also phrase your sentences properly and use paragraphs. It was a bit of a struggle to understand your block of words.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2015
  5. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

I'm going to use 16gb only because I want to run the memory in dual channel mode. Im not buying memory for this pc, im stealing some from my other machine which had a 32gb kit in it.

Just waiting on the chip arriving. The psu was packaged well, so looking forward to the build.

Sadly won't be able to fit the 680 in until next payday so I can afford a replacement for my main machine.

Thanks for the advice, I just type too much trying to cram my thoughts down into words.