1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education How to stop Android installing apps on new device

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 1 Aug 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I intend to buy the Moto G 3rd Gen next week and thought I would ask a question I have been meaning to get an answer to for a while now. My current phone Moto G LTE and tablets (Both Samsung) are all Google android and as you can imagine i have quite a few apps between them all.

What I do not like is when you connect a new device Google assumes that you want to stick every app you have ever downloaded on the new device. It even makes deleting apps from your library more difficult than it should be as you have to do via a device rather than via a PC. I also note you can only hdie old devices in your history but not delete them why?

But back to my question, and I have Googled but looking for personal tips if any. How to stop Android installing old apps on new device?

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The only way to not have bloatware on your phone is buying a google phone (they don't install all the Samsung / Motorola / manufacturers apps by default) or rooting it and putting a custom firmware on it.

If you're switching android phones and don't want it to sync all the apps on your old phone, go to the play store, my apps, then select the All tab. From there just start removing all the ones you don't want to automatically sync. I believe they have to be uninstalled before you're able to remove them from the all list, so it's still a PITA.

I really hate how they give me all these "mandatory" apps then tell me they have to be updated. I don't care about different keyboard languages, etc.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks but it has nothing to do with the Samsung bloatware. But all to do with getting a new phone and not install every app I have installed current my on my tablet and old phone. So uninstalling is not the way to go as I have no wish to uninstall the tablet apps.

It is ridiculous that Google does not allow separate devices to have there own profiles. Why it insists that every app you download should go to any new device is beyond me.

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Ahh, gotcha. I misunderstood. I thought you were just switching phones, not sharing an account between two devices. The only solution I could think of would be turning off automatic updates and having to manually add each app, which is still inconvenient.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

On your OLD phone, do this:-

1. Open Play Store
    2. Select "My Apps" from the top left menu
    3. Select the "All" tab
    4. Each app will either have "Installed" or "X" next to it. (I assume that the uninstalled apps are the ones you don't want)
    5. For each app you don't want, tap the "X". You'll get a popup asking "Remove $AppName from my apps?"
    6. Tap "OK"

This should prune your apps list of redundant apps BEFORE activating your new phone. :thumb:

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Odd, when I got my Moto G, upgrading from an Orange Monte Carlo, it didn't put any of my old apps onto the new phone, and I was using the same google account on both devices.

Can't you just choose not to sync apps or something in the setup when you log into your google account?

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This does not answer my question as Google will insist on installing apps on the new phone that are also on the my tablet which is what i seek to prevent. Removing redundant apps I do regularly but as I say I have apps on my tablet, mainly games, that I do not want on the phone though Google believes I should have.

I think that that is the only way to do it as your suggestion has come up elsewhere.

Still have to ask the question again why can we not have separate app profiles for each device?

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

'tiss odd.
    I'm on my 4th or 5th Android mobile and I've never had the new phone populate with apps associated with another phone, the only think I ever do in the play store is turn off auto-updating but I can't see that being it.

9. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I'm sure there is a check box you can tick when you setup the Google account about syncing between devices.

I currently have three android devices in service and don't get apps I install on one pushed down to all my devices.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I do not mean they are pushed to all devices as that does not happen. I am talking solely of installing a new device.

11. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

That too Kronos, as I said I'm pretty sure it's when you setup the Google account on the new device you can choose to keep apps in sync.

When you opt out yes your apps are listed in play store but it doesn't go and download anything

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think that is the way forward as this solution is mentioned often here. Google.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Phone arrived and I reset my old phone not backing up. Set up new phone, Wi-Fi and the like and I was asked if I wanted to sync the phone with my my tablet or as there was an small arrow I assume the old phone would have been listed.

Have not come across that before so all was very easy to set up.