1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows USB 3.0 has "disappeared" from Windows 10

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by raxonb, 9 Aug 2015.

1. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro x64. The upgrade ran perfectly and everything worked just as it did when I as running Win 7, including my usb 3.0 ports.

My PC is old, so I use a SiverStone EC04-E card for my USB 3.0 ports, which use Renesas drivers. They have been working fine since the upgrade until now.

A couple of days ago my ports have just "disappeared" from my device manager. I first noticed it stopped working as my external drive had disappeared. For the meanwhile I've had to plug it into a USB 2.0 port to use it. Nothing happens if I plug anything into any of the 3.0 ports - I know there is power as my external drive powers up and starts spinning (then powers back down as windows doesn't pick up the drive, whereas before it would get detected and remain powered on).

I've tried removing the drivers and reinstalling but nothing - as I said it doesn't even show up in Device manager now. Usually after installing the drivers Windows would detect the hardware and try installing again but not this time.

I thought I'd try a firmware update but I get the error message "Not found the Host Controller."

As Windows 10 is still quite new I've not found any similar problems as of yet.

My PC is usually on 24/7 but I've not done anything different in the last few days. Literally one morning I found that my USB 3.0 external drive was powered down.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I'd try the card in another PC if you can just to rule out card failure.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Sounds like hardware failure on the motherboard to me.

4. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Problem Solved: - I took the PCI card out, started up the PC, shutdown, reinstalled card and restarted again and it's working again fine. No idea why it happened in the first place...

Thanks to those who responded :)