1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Gaming Laptop Help..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrism_scotland, 10 Aug 2015.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland What's a Dremel?

Folks,

I'm looking for a little advice.
    Currently I've got a Lenovo Y580 (Nvidia 660M) that I've had now for 2.5 years and obviously for any recent gaming its not really specced out for that now and its time for a replacement.

My laptop isn't just used for gaming but also photo-editing and business (I would be buying via my Ltd Company), I had been looking at just buying a Macbook Pro 15" partially as for photo editing I think a retina display looks great but also because it looks "cool", however I do use a 24" external Dell screen when I'm at home so screen isn't everything.

The more I look at the Mac the more I think that the PC equivalent of the Dell XPS 15 is a much better buy (£600 less...) however I hadn't been too bothered about gaming initially as the PS4 kind of does that now but having looked around at what I could get for £1000-£2000 I think I could get a really good gaming laptop (that would play current and future stuff)that would also be great for photo editing while still potentially spending a lot less than the Macbook... but I was wondering what say £1500 would get me?

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Gigabyte P34W v3

As far as I'm concerned, the best laptop/ultrabook in the world.

3. chrism_scotland

Thanks Pete I'll take a look at that!

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Most gaming laptops have heat issues, especially the MSI high end models, some of which only use 1 fan for the cpu and gpu together.

The only one I have found not to is the Asus G series. (I am a bit of a fanboy of this laptop just to let you know).

It's only negative for me is the red keyboard backlighting.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/17...me/NOT01442/?gclid=COqs4pO1n8cCFRcFkQodKwENBA

I don't think this model has the gsync monitor, Im not sure but it may only be the 980m model that has that but it is currently hard to source and would only just fall into you budget if you can claim the VAT back in which case you can knock £300 odd off the price in the link below.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/18...Hz/NOT01645/?gclid=CLyy2OO1n8cCFVEFkQodsZ8K2w

They are 17" though and quite heavy.

5. chrism_scotland

Thanks mate, will take a look, I'm happy to spend a bit extra if needs be (hell the MBP 15" was going to be £2000.....)

6. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Just make sure it is the gsync model you get. IMO if buying a gaming laptop get the best you can afford because upgrades are either impossible or super expensive. Just for reference the 980m is about the same as a desktop 770.

Quick review of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmQJgmgaDU

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My wife has an Acer Aspire Nitro i7 which she bought mainly as it is a high enough specification laptop to last her a quite a while before an upgrade needs to be considered.

It has an i7 4710HQ CPU with 8Gb of RAM and an 860M GPU with 4Gb of RAM.

Storage is a 128Gb SSD and a 1 Tb HDD and I have to say that on the odd time that I have used it I have been impressed (not so much with win 8 but...).

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends how much mobile use the laptop will see. If the answer is not a lot then save the cash and buy a desktop which 2-3 times the performance more so in the areas your after.

Pete suggestion is great if it was still for sale. The new model is very expensive. P35x v3 ( £ 1800 ish for the one you want. The cheaper one reduces the gpu down which may not be a issue now but could be in time) Does have 1 flaw under heavy load it can get hot and can throttle.

It's the cost you pay for lightwieght. If that's not relivent you can get cheaper laptops with similar specs. The AsusG75 range is the better value option but it's double the weight of the above.