1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Finally:D - WaterWetter update read

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_D_K, 11 Aug 2003.

1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

i Have finally set up my watercooling again its all running in the garden with the CPU and GPU blocks on :D
    will go in my rig tomorrow once its finished sorting out its self i put some water wetter in and its all foamy so im leaving it on a bench for 24 hours to settle then i'll put it into my computer not sure if you can use the setup while the water wetter is foam if i can i'll put it in my rig now.

Pics on route

correct me if im wrong can i use the system while the WW is settling looking at Pug or Coolermeister here :D[anyone who knows]

Last edited: 13 Aug 2003
  2. chill-tek

chill-tek What's a Dremel?

Hi MDK.

I would advise you to leave the kit out of the rig for at least 24hrs with the pump running. Where is the foam? In the res?

If you have any bubbles throughout the system i would recommend you leave the system with the res raised above the rest of the kit. This will help the bubbles escape into the reservoir (the highest point). If practical, you should also fit the kit into the rig with the reservoir at the highest point.

One more bit of advice for you. Give the radiator a shake with the pump running and the radiator hoses at the top. This will skake out any air trapped in the channels within the rad, into the system and out into the res (Hopefully).

Good luck!!

Last edited: 11 Aug 2003
  3. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Unfortunately it is a total misconception by a lot of folk that mounting the reservoir at the top of your system is the only way to aerate!

Not True .........the flow created by the pump would not allow this no matter where the reservoir is placed........A good reservoir will always catch the bubbles where-ever placed in the system.

Heres a great Water-cooling Reservoir Theory and Construction Guide by Lee Garbutt [aka] RoboTech over at overclockers.com for those still unsure of the concept of water cooling :duh:

On two of my set-ups the reservoirs are at the bottom of the loop and they still catch the bubbles just fine :lol:
    In short M_D_K its fine as long as your happy that you have no leaks from any of the joints etc

The bubbles will disappear in no time mate :thumb:

Good to hear your getting there M_D_K......looking forward to seeing some pictures :clap:

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Well the foam is in the blocks and the res its wizzing around and around and aroudn :p looks cool :D but im sure its not good anyways got 20hours left :p

i've got the case sorted at the mo looky here for that one

Stage 2 - Case :D

Chill-tek _ the setup is running on a towel at the mo sitting next to me as i don't want anything to leak on anything its all leak tested and is so far leak proof :D all down to me mean tightning of the warm screws :p.

Coolermiester _ Thanks im nearly there :D i'll hopefully have it in the case tomorrow and thanks for all your help along the way i got the orings by the way and 5 spares :D so thats that sorted.

Unfortunatly when the Cascade block arrives i'll have to do this again and i might not get he cascade block in until i can get hold of a new res and a cheap 1250 pump have to look around i think but im just trying to get this running at the mo.

Thanks guys

5. coolmiester

M_D_K...........you want those before and after pics hosting that you sent me????

Be a good idea to show them :thumb:

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Yes please go for it dude :D

i'll send you another one cause i spent a little more time on it but yeah host away :D

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Water Wetter

Ok
    Yesterday after putting in water wetter into my res i noticed it went all cloudy and foamy. I had, had information from an unknown source [as in i either made it up in my head or heard it] that leaving it to settle for 24 hours would cure this problem.

So 20 hours had passed and nothing had happened hmm i was thinking will another 4 hours really make a difference so i took control at th is point.

This is how i got my system to go from

this
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]

as you can see its quite clear i will get another piccy up of it at th emoment as its now completly clear :D

what i did wa s

Opened up the res and scooped out the foam and replaced the missing liqud then switch on the pump and wait for the res to fill up again. I did this quite a few times and it seems to of done the trick

if you want more help just ask

stages in more depth

1- Switch system on until res is completly full of foam.
    2- Take a spoon and fish out as much foam as you can without taking out to much water.
    3- Now refil the res to the top and get a folded single piece of kitchen roll [fold into four, half then half again] when the res is full to the brim, use the paper towel to dab off the residue of foam.
    4- Replace lid or cup hand and repeat stages 1, 2 and 3 till your system is then empty of foam.

thanks

comments and question welcome

[Big thanks to coolmiester for hosting images and his help :clap: :clap: ]

Last edited: 13 Aug 2003
  8. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

Looking real nice. I like the res on the pump myself. Those braided lines look neat, are they harder to use however? The lines should look really good if you put in UV lights and dye.

A Hydor L30 would give the same performance as a 12150 and cost a bit less as well as take less space in your case.

9. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

nah they are a litte tuff to bend which is a good things as i've not got any kinks or viscious corners in the system :D and the tubing was free. i loke the res on the pump als its damn neat :D

Not sure about an L30 anyways just bought an Eheim 1250 so im looking at riding myself of this pump and res

10. Aardie

Aardie What's a Dremel?

Im having the same problem ran it for 24 hrs foam was less than when I had started. Anyways put the system together and im still getting foam allthough its hard to get rid of with a tidgy Danger Den Res.

Water Cooling Specs - E1250, DD Maze 3, Black Ice Extreme 2 and of course the DD Res.

I tried replacing some of the water as I think I put too much wetter in the loop (2 caps) and it seems to of gone down a little more but am defeating the point of using water wetter if I replace all of the water.

Im Seriously considering building my own Res as far as I can tell those innovatek Plugons dont fit the 1250.

Any suggestions ???

Regards

Keith

11. coolmiester

again........too much Water Wetter Aardie.

Unfortunately it is not like orange squash..........where the more you put in the better it tastes/works

You got approximately 20ml (2 cap fulls) of Water Wetter in a relatively small loop.

Try dropping the quantity to around 5% of the total liquid. Usually around 5ml for smaller set-ups and going up to around 10ml for larger set-ups but obviously each individual set-up will be different!

Coolercases UK are working closely with Red Line Oil the manufacturers of Water Wetter to get some smaller bottles introduced specifically for the PC water cooling fraternity complete with instructions for our needs as appose to the instructions for the use in the automotive industry in which it was first developed.

Providing that the maths work out for Red Line Oil they are considering a production run of 25ml bottles and maybe100ml bottles along with comprehensive instructions for our needs which should take away a lot of the guess work.

I'll keep you posted as and when this hopefully comes to fruition.

If you are considering making your own reservoir Aardie you will find some great advice from this Water-cooling Reservoir Theory and Construction Guide by Lee Garbutt [aka] RoboTech over at overclockers.com

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

well little bottles would be quite hard it would be like a thinmble with a lid 5ml lol

but yeah keep it up coolmiester :D

13. coolmiester

No no no..........M_D_K we already do it in squeeze 10ml and 25ml bottles with dropper tops (see pics) which are great but this way we will have the backing from Red Line who are prepared to print a separate set of instructions for our needs also including the health and safety aspect!

Saves buying the standard 330ml bottles which work out quite expensive considering the amount used per set-up...........just trying to make it easier and cheaper for everyone and with a bit of luck educate everyone one how much to use!

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Aardie

Aardie What's a Dremel?

Thanks Coolmeister, Im going to bleed the wc system tommorrow probably down to half again as that is as much as I bled earlier so if my math is right that should get it down to 5ml.

Regards

Keith

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

thought i saw icle bottles on the site

i bought a 150ml bottle £7.50 :O that did the bankin i cn tell ya

16. coolmiester

Just out of curiosity Aardie how did you get on after dropping the quantity of Water Wetter????

17. Aardie

Aardie What's a Dremel?

Rebled it last weekend (about 50%) and its a lot better there is still a little with a bit of turbulence in one of the Tubes (hardly any in the res) but I checked the Block on Thursday, remembering that Ive only had the rig going for less than 2 weeks, and the block was fine no build up or anything :)

Currently running at CPU 31c, ambient/case 24c @ 1.85v on a xp2400 I can run the machine at 2v to get to the 2550+ region but those VRM's get a little toasty. So I am waiting on getting some Thermal Paste to attach some sinks to the VRM's.

Still looking for a suitable bottle for a Res preferably a square one to attach to the exterior of the case.

Regards

Keith

Last edited: 23 Aug 2003
  18. coolmiester

AHHHHHHHHHH...........great to hear Aardie!

I got three systems with various combinations of blocks HD coolers and reservoirs each running for different lengths of time.......the longest being around 8 months and although I guess i should change the coolant there seems little point as it is still as clear as it was when i first put it together :lol:

All three systems are showing no sign of discoloration or build up which other people seem to be having problems with and blaming Water Wetter...................I have never had this and can only put it down to using the correct amount (5%)

I'm in the throws of putting a new system together and will be using the same coolant/mixture (deionised water, 5% Water Wetter and UV dye) in this!

Should be interesting to see how the coolant copes with it as it will consist of quite a bit a different metals namely Copper, Stainless Steel and Aluminium!

I'll keep the post posted:D

19. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

i didnt see it mentioned but i may have missed it.

its best to add watter wetter to the system after it has been bled/ leak tested

20. Aardie

Aardie What's a Dremel?

Yes but within 1/2 an hour of filling youre system up but be very conservative with it if you have one of those big bottles :)

Half a cap full for mine (Big Bottle) and mine holds I reckon close to 1.5 - 2 litres and mine is now clear as a bell.

Regards

Keith

Tags: