1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Xeon upgrade worth it ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kehoe, 22 Aug 2015.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

He can, but why should he pay £50 for an overclock that he can very likely get with his current CPU?

I have a Xeon in my rig running at 4GHz and it certainly wasn't easy to get it there... I had to flash BIOS a few times before I got a stable OC, and I had to use a beta BIOS.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What board?

3. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

If anything you would be putting a little too much voltage through the Xeon, so you would just lower that a bit to get your temperatures down. I was running an i7 920 at 4ghz on my asus 1366 board (so BCLK of 200) and I literally dropped the BCLK to 170 and put the x5670 in and it ran like a champ. I have done the same thing on my Gigabyte 1366 board with the same CPU's.

Maybe I just had good luck, but if you can get 170BCLK out of a classified (which you really should be able to) then I don;t see why you wouldn't be able to get a xeon working on it. If OP tries and fails I would be happy to swap his classified for my asus board that is rock solid at 200 BCLK!

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

The problem with that is you will be spending a lot of money on new ram, cpu and mobo.... Here he can just spend £50 and job done. He will be benching higher than heavily OC'ed haswell chips. so wont be gaining anything other than SATA3/USB3. Really worth spending hundreds for that?

He will be gaining more cores, lower nm, better cache, lower power consumption and run cooler. Its a all round better chip. A i7 950 that retailed at £250 in 2009(?) does not really compare to a hex core xeon that retailed at £1200 in 2011.

Xeons dont take much volts and are easy to overclock. I know this because iv done it my self along with many other people. my 4Ghz is 1.25v... Ill be happy to send him my settings as a reference as iv done for 2 people on here recently.

You will only have to update the bios once, to the newest. Which is easy. Stick the update file on a USB stick, boot bios, update from USB, done.

The only problem here is that its a EVGA motherboard. There a lot more buggy and get updated less that more seasoned motherboard brands. especially in the 1366 era.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2015
  5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

GA X58 USB3. Not by any means the best X58 board but I got it with a bundle and it's served me for three years now and should keep me going for longer still.

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

One of the worst X58 boards I have used, not sure why but it wasn't as good as other Giga boards.

The 950 would sell for near what the Xeon would go for, what's not to like?

They run a lot cooler and clock (in my experience) far easier.