1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [BUILD LOG] S7 HQ WALL BUILD - by S7Design

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by S7design, 25 Aug 2015.

1. S7design

S7design Minimodder

Hi Guys, I'm back smile.gif

took some time of from modding like a month smile.gif and now im back in the game.

Next up in line will be a wall build for my work shop the S7 HQ, as im currently using the Raised from the dead as a work PC in there and for what i need it it dose the job. Mostly preparing files for 3D printing and some 3D design in sketchup. But as that PC is massive in size and im already in proces of making a 3D printable CNC machine ill need to make some more space in the room to accommodate the new CNC that will be 1m x 1m, im making it big enough to be able to handle and PC side panel i can throw at it smile.gif

[​IMG]

So sadly the Raised from the dead will have to move out and to save on space ill be making a wall build. I also wanted to make a wall build or a long time but there i no way in hell my wife's gonna let me hang it in the house smile.gif) So what a perfect opportunity to make one for my HQ

The plan of this build is to firstly make it a working PC so that i can continue to do the 3D printing and preparation of files for the CNC, with out needing to go to the house, and once i get the CNC made ill need the PC also to prepare files for the CNC and also to run its software and so on. After the CNC is made i inted to mod this wall build like its suppose to be modded, and also very excited to make some acrylic water paths with the CNC to connect all the water cooled components together.

So the system inside will be similar to the Raised from the dead, as honestly more is not needed for the work that's intended for it. It will be a 775 socket based system, with a core 2 quad CPU, 3-4 GB of RAM and a GTX 285 from my S7 Desk, a 60 GB SSD and a 300GB HDD. Also will be water cooled with a 240mm RAD for the start but plan to put on a 480mm RAD just for good measure if i upgrade any pieces in the future, or if any NICE SPONSORS wink.gif would like to showcase their products on there.

For starters i still need to get my self a used 775 mobo that supports core 2 quad CPU's, but for the sake of getting thing started and making the PC run as soon as possible i took out also the mobo from the S7 Desk its a ATX size mobo so ill make the mounts to fit it and then just screw on the other mobo that ill get sooner or later. And the other stuff like the drives and PSU and the rez and Rad will be mounted in the same way.

Will make a acrylic platform to whitch ill attaches the components and then screw that into the base board, i'm thinking of leaving a 0.5cm to 1cm gap between the board to have the components lifted and to make it a bit different then the other wall builds that have the components secured directly to the base board. And the color scheme for the build im thinking of making like a real working PC so id paint it in black and yellow 45 degree stripes and to cover the acrylic stands with aluminum Checker Plate vinyl, not to got for carbon fiber look that every body else has gone for

So to start off i got a 1m x 70 cm big wooden board
    [​IMG]

put down the components to get a feel for the space
    [​IMG]

Having left over acrylic from my last build i almost dont need to buy and new material except for the hold for the mobo. So i started off with the easiest pieces first smile.gif

Did the HHD and SSD mounts. Next step is to drill 6 hols 3 on each side of the mount and with that secure it the board, but i did not have any such bolts, so that ill be doing from next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i ran out of screws and acrylic over the weekend to be able to continue with the build i decided to design and print out some mounts for the reservoir, decided to make it similar to my last SSD mount so is S7 style. It came out looking pretty good and it holds the raz very well.

Im also thinking if making a full cover for the rez but need to think of a funky design smile.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got a few screws and nuts to test my hang idea. Drilled the holes in a test piece of plywood. As the nuts did not fit on the M4 screws asll the way to the top put them along the sides to see the hight ill be getting. After that have decided to get some M5 nuts and put 3 under the acrylic to space things out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also im thinking of going in a tools type theme so the nut spacers will be in that theme.

2. S7design

S7design Minimodder

UPDATE

I needed a fan controller for this build and found on line this awesome wicked case for €5 and it had a 4 fan fan controller inside, along with 2 case fans and a power cable. So what a steal for €5. Yesterday i also learned that this case was the case to mod back in the day, so it seems some special powers brought this case to me like it was destined to be modded :)So already getting ideas for my new project :D

[​IMG]

Tested out the fan controller and works like a dream, also again a GREAT THANKS to my great friend Farystar who gave me the 4 x 12cm wicked green LED fans after he updated his own rig with new fans :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

[​IMG]

With 2 kids modding is hard :) so managed to do just a bit on the wall build, cut the acrylic for mounting the Phobya radiator.

marked off the holes and free handed drew out the mark where i need to cut out the acrylic to let the air flow. Ill be putting fans on top of the rad and hopefully when the CNC is done make some custom fan grills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Aug 2015
  3. S7design

S7design Minimodder

UPDATE

managed to get in a few minutes to get some work done on the wall build.

Could have done this nicer but, rushed it and cut the holes in the acrylic with a dremel metal cutting disk :) Its not the best, but it got the job done and also this bit will not be seen so not to worried about the looks of it. Left a cross section for a bit more stability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled out the holes and got ready the mounts for the RAD, HDD,SDD and PSU. Still need to make the REZ, pump, GPU and mobo mounts in the next days

[​IMG]

4. S7design

S7design Minimodder

UPDATE,

got on making the acrylic mount for the reservoir, being it i still have to print out the other rez mount. Gonna bolt them down with 3mm screws to the acrylic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

started work on the GPU mount.

will use the hole in the PSB where the I/O shield of the GPU was secured to and a hole right up against the 6 pin connector to keep the GPU in place. Ill put acrylic "shelfs" just under the GPU so it also rest on that and not only on the 2 screws as it quite a heavy beast this GTX 285 :D

I should really change my name from S7 design to Raised from the dead Mods as how much old stuff i gave life to again it just seems fitting :D

any ways marked out and tapped holes for the mobo offsets ill be using here to lift the GPU of the acrylic to give it some more air circulation, also am thinking of drilling a few holes in the acrylic for a better air flow

[​IMG]

only the top two mounts will hold the GPU the bottom ones are just to keep the distance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

still need to put on the acrylic "shelfs" for safety but the 2 screws do hold the GPU on the board :)

[​IMG]