1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Is my GPU dead?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewbaccas_nan, 30 Aug 2015.

1. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I built my PC 2 Xmas' ago and never had any issues with it so far.

I turned it on the other day (haven't been on it in weeks) did some windows & GPU driver updates (Nvidia) etc, and left it on for a while and went off to do something. When I returned, the PC was still on but the screen was black and wouldn't come on. I had to turn it off by holding the power button down and restarting it again.

The same thing just happened to me today, where I left it idle and then returned and the screen was black, computer lights still on - but no response. So i had to restart it again by holding the power button down.

Then once computer started, I was browsing the internet and within minutes the screen went black, and I heard this loud whooshing/fan noise that wouldn't stop - I then just held in the power button to turn the machine off.

I turned it back on and this is what I saw:

[​IMG]

Impeccable timing as usual - just bought MGS:V 2 days before launch! What should I do guys?! :(

Specs:

MSI GTX 770
    Be quiet 630W PSU
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    8GB RAM

UPDATE:
    Took out the GPU, and now using the onboard graphics - seems to be fine.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2015
  2. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Typically, the first thing I would do is try another monitor and see if happening there too. If it does, then you know the problem is in your computer. If the 2nd monitor works, you know your monitor is failing. Note most modern TVs have computer inputs.

That said, it says Windows Error Recovery so that sure points to the computer and not the monitor. I always want to ensure I am providing good, clean stable power since everything else depends on that. So if me, I would borrow a PSU, if no spare available, from a trusted friend and see if that clears it up.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Try another PCI-E lane, but I would think that is fairly conclusive that the GPU is kaput.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Re install the gpu into a different pcie slot. See if the problem follows the card.

5. chewbaccas_nan

Tried using another PCIE lane, no luck. In regards to my psu, it's a pretty solid brand - Be Quiet! 630W Pure Power. The computer & monitor are working perfectly since using the on board gpu. Looks likes it's an RMA job :(

Anyone got any experience in dealing with MSI? The card is 2 years old, apparently they offer 3 years - thank god.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2015
  6. TheMadDutchDude

Not personally, but if things go a little pear shaped, give RawZ (he's on here) a nudge or post in the MSI section of the forum.

7. chewbaccas_nan

Thanks nutty Dutchman.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

At least you're not completely out of comission and you have warranty so pain free returns.

9. chewbaccas_nan

I hope they don't take ages. I'm itching to play metal gear lol. Do they usually try and repair the problem or just send a like for like replacement?

10. TheMadDutchDude

They will try to repair it, but it appears as if you've got either a dodgy core or memory on your hands which means it'll probably be a replacement.

I can't comment on the length of time it would take as I have never personally dealt with them.

11. chewbaccas_nan

Thanks for the info.