1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ooooh. That explains the start of that film.
    I thought he was there to get close to the guy who was useful later in the film or something

2. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Yes that was also part of the plan

Interstellar 4/10 (5/10 for the robots)

I found it quite slow, the plot was poor and full of holes as others had mentioned- the robots provided probably the highlight of the film.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Nightcrawler 7/10

a great performance by Jake Gyllenhaal, who manages to be ugly (which he normally isn't) and a complete *rse at the same time.
    The movie itself is a bit long with a very un-hollywood ending.
    Nice in it's nastiness.

Reminds me a lot of Christian Bale in American Psycho :D

4. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Nightcrawler - 7/10
    Yeah just a bit weird in general. Wasn't particularly engrossed by it.

Whiplash - 8.5/10
    Great acting and very engaging!
    a lot of drumming!

Straight outta Compton - 8/10
    Rather than an over the top glamorisation of rap music in the late 80's / early 90's it seemed to tell it like it was. Glad I went to see it!

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Divergent Series Insurgent
    Blah/10

So much potential in this series that's just being wasted. Seriously: Darker, better actors, less twilight, more equilibrium, and this would be perfectly good TV.
    As it stands, I am finding the Hunger Games films better... and they're rubbish already.

6. BenK

BenK Minimodder

Spy

Went in with fairly low expectations, but great performances from all the cast. Comedy doesn't stray into childish too much, and Jason Statham is intense.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The Man From U.N.C.L.E - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyable period romp. Loved every minute, and looking forward to the sequel.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

The Maze Runner 4/10

absolutely mediocre, with an abysmal end.
    It's just an intro really, that somehow managed to get pulled to film length.
    The Golden Compass 2 got cancelled and THIS got a sequel? Bweh.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Big Hero 6 6/10

Hmmm, difficult one.
    Not really funny enough for my taste, but hey, at least they didn't do the Disney sing and dance!

Pain & Gain 4/10

A lot af stars, michael Bay as director, a truestory, what can go wrong?

Well a lot. It could be funnier (in a dumb-and-dumber-style) but then they'd have to lose the "true story" one. Same goes for more spectacle.
    Just didn't do it for me.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Rock
    Aw Yis/10

I had to show this to my uneducated-in-the-way-of-proper-action-films little brother.
    Ultimate fun, Nick Cage is cast well (and scripted well), and Connery makes the film.
    Also, an unexpected appearance by John C. McGinley (unexpected to me, at least).

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I went to San Francisco in 2001. It was fun watching this and going "I've stood on that corner... and that one..." etc

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

plenty of films like it nowadays...

all pandering to the Twilight crowd

Demolition man 9.5 / 10
    a film that seems to have gotten better since i last saw it somehow as its visions of the future are not acually so far off the mark

Commando F*ck YEA / 10
    ( lilgoth89 you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality stature )

its THE classic 1980's film where arnold guns down countless goons whats not to like ?

Battle Royale 4 / 10
    The books were WAY, WAY better than this shambles of a film. it explains very little about half the characters, many of whom you dont even see...

13. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Max Max: Fury Road - 8/10
    I really enjoyed it, just entertaining and immense action! I think it's the attention to detail and the darkness of the world they have built that makes it so interesting because the story wasn't amazing and some of the acting was a bit wooden but it still provided an enjoyable watch!

14. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Attack On Titan (Live Action) - Don't bother/10

For those who appreciate the manga and/or the animated serie, this movie will be a big disappointment .

1. They changed the name of half the characters, for example Cpt. Levi is called Shikishima & Old man Hannes is called Souda.

2. The horses have been replaced by LAVs. Not very middle age : /

3. Hannes/Souda knows random stuff about the titans that he shouldn't. For example, he never saw a human capable of transforming into a Titan but knows that the human core is located behind the neck. No explanation given, he just KNOW.

4. Levi/Shikishima seems ti be intimate with Mikasa...wait what? They are blood related FFS!

15. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Jurassic World - 2/10

I'll give it a 2 instead of a 1 for the few visual nods to the first film and for the few nice practical effects.

But the visual nods are generally dumb, obvious, and out of context for the rest of the film. I'm sure some moron was pulling a "visual poetry" (À la George Lucas) and really patting themselves on the back for the juxtaposition between the brachiosaurus alive and walking in the first film, and then dying in the arms of Bryce Dallas Howard in the 4th, but it's stupid.

None of the characters in this film are even remotely intelligent, and they're all completely underdeveloped stereotypes. Shouldn't the thermal and GPS tracker be tracked constantly? The main "oops" for this film that sets off all the conflict and action is completely stupid for these reasons.

When it does escape (no spoiler there) why don't they track the dinosaur with a helicopter? Seriously, they should have a lot of them on the island, and a lot of pilots. They only use it as a convenience to kill off a character in what is an obvious moment of hubris. (On stupid deaths, you also know who is about to die based on when new characters are introduced. "Who's that stereotype? Why are we seeing him for the first time now? . . . Oh.")

The most recent Godzilla did this convenience thing too. Bomb is being transported by rail. It goes wrong. Helicopters come get it. Ummm . . . lead with the helicopters next time?! It's lazy, and so was 99% of this film.

Also, from a human side of things (since films generally tell human stories through extraordinary circumstances), there is no resolution. The kids' parents are getting a divorce (which I don't think is important at all other than as a plot device to send the kids to the island without their parents). At the end of the film the parents are seen holding one another on the island to be reunited with their kids (odd). The brothers have a bad relationship sort of, but it's hard to tell if it's made worse by bad writing, bad acting, or just everything combined. Again, it's not a theme and there's no real resolution. Bryce Dallas Howard's character is a control freak. This I guess is supposed to be like the first film, where one of the lessons is that we can't control nature. It's much more obvious (read "dumb") in this film and I'm not sure she really changes by the end. There's also Kingpin (from Daredevil) who represents the U.S. military industrial complex, but that dead horse is beat from the moment we're told what he wants. The concept of militarized dinosaurs makes literally no sense at all. If there were any sort of plausibility to it we would have militarized bears and lions and tigers (in the real world) by now. And again, is there supposed to be a message here, or is he just an idiot placed in the film to contrast Chris Pratt's character and progress the plot conveniently when needed?

So I guess the takeaway from this film is supposed to be "Chris Pratt is awesome," which nobody cares about because it in no way affects their outlook or actions in their everyday life.

16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Did you notice the same guys coming round again and again to get shot in the garden scene at the end?
    Seen it many times and still entertains me.

I love the scene in the motel when the guys pulls a gun on Arnold, says "F you", pulls the trigger and it just clicks... Arnold replies "No, F you" and shoots him. Classic 80s stuff.

Similarly Stallone in Cobra is so bad that it's good

17. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

Fast & Furious 7 [Blu-Ray Extended Edition] - 8/10

Enjoyable with some amusing moments. Good entertainment with a sad ending

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

John Wick 7/10

My god hes started acting properly again, good revenge film random Lovejoy appearance was good though

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Fantastic 4 6/10

Much preferred this one over the others and a darker side to it.

20. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I loved John Wick, great movie though I would bump up the score to 8/10. It's got a hint of the Matrix to it, plus Keanu actually acting which is always good.