1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Hex Gear - #29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Editor22, 2 Sep 2015.

1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

So it has been a long time since our last major project (around 2 years in fact!) Still we took on the challenge of creating a truly unique show build for MSI UK
    Montymole's Modding Emporium came to us with a concept and a list of 'must haves' from there we started to develop something which after a few weeks came to be project #29
    The main criteria for the build was to incorporate the new MSI circuit board light trail branding
    around an SLI hard tubing rig that Montymole himself was going to install.

We started with a shell in the shape of a HEX GEAR R40 and went to town designing custom panels for the front and back as well as a new top plate to suspend dual EK Water Blocks reservoirs
    Next up was the custom mid shroud (catchy name I know) This was designed in Illustrator and then laser etched from a panel of painted red acrylic. Once backlit the light can only shine through the design giving the same effect as on the MSI boards.

This plate also served the purpose of allowing the cables to be fed through from the PSU to the correct locations of the build helping to keep the main area looking clean and tidy.
    We finished up with a few little mods such as laser engraving the side of the EK radiators, GPU back plates and pump top to help further tie in the concept.

All in all it was great to get hands on with a mod again after being stuck on the office side of the business for so long!

Sadly there are not any pictures of the build process as we were running at full steam to get it finished in time for the event however if you guys have any questions on how anything was done just let me know and I will do my best to answer :)

Montymole had great fun bending some of these tube runs especially the little tight ones! My favorite however is this one that runs from the CPU to the top 240mm Rad

[​IMG]

We used our own cable combs here to help train the wires running from the GPU's out through the pass plate in the mid shroud

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear I/O is always an eyesore so I took some scrap 3mm red that had been painted black (the same stuff we used for the mid shroud) and made this little box. It fixes onto the PCI plate and has a small LED strip inside to illuminate the Hex gear logo.

[​IMG]

Without these guys the build would have been pretty damn expensive! To say thank you and give them the promotion that they deserve I laser etched all of the names into the window panel.

[​IMG]

The GPU back plates and EK 240mm radiators went through the same laser etching to tie them into the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a last minute addition once we realised the spacing on the hard SLI bridge was incorrect I whipped up this little SLI bridge cover from some 3mm white plexi painted black.

[​IMG]

The top section was finished with some fan grills to prevent any fingers from being chopped off at the show as well as dual light ports for the reservoirs

[​IMG]

Some final full shots now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and if anyone has any questions just leave the below :) :clap::hip::thumb:

2. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

bravo bravo. Epic Mod

3. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

It was a very easy job for me to Tube this up, the work you did was as always A1 .

It was so enjoyable seeing it out there on the stand at i55 and seeing the looks it was getting from the crowd and from other exhibitors.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

D*mn clean Nate...or Monty.. Both of you, I guess.:lol: Love the turns on the gpu wiring.

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks dude, I spent the whole time sleeving, cursing and saying "never again" until now when I am thinking "well it wasn't that bad" :clap:

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Well, now that you told me you hated it... The board power looks like it could use an extra loom.:naughty:

7. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

95% Nate's work I just did the plumbing :)

8. MSIRawZ

MSIRawZ MSI UK Rep

Up! Seriously epic mod .. bias aside! :D

9. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Looks even better IRF, great build! Sets the bar.

J.