1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress -----'PARVUM MATE'-----

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 29 Nov 2014.

1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

The piece was cut on time however we had to transport it to a secure location to ensure it was safe from the raging Parvum fan girls.

[​IMG]

Seeing as its getting rather close to bed time for those in the UK a full size original image has been uploaded for your viewing pleasure ;)

2. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

S I C K

3. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

"It's in a safe place"

[​IMG]

4. el2k

el2k Modder

Will this one be at LAN boys?

5. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

[​IMG]

With the hyperblock cut much preparation is required to get ready for fitment of the components. One of the critical things being figuring out how to securelly attach it to the severely cut back M9 chassis, but first... some tapping!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dat feel when you just tapped 91 holes...

[​IMG]

...and there are more on the other side...

[​IMG]

With all of the 6-32 threads cut it was time to break out the 1/4" BSPF taps, first using the #1 in a pillar drill to start cutting perpendicular to the piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following that they were finished with the #2 and #3 by hand so I could see how deep to go as a few of the ports were drilled such that the threads would break out the o-ring groove if tapped all the way through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The GPU cold plate mounting holes didn't quite cut through when the part was machined so they were quickly cleaned out and drilled through while working on the block.

[​IMG]

That just left the task of attaching the entire block to the case. Firstly the block was positioned in the case using an off cut of acrylic to pack it to the right height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few solutions had crossed my mind, fabricating further acrylic parts or using Parvum cubes however it had to be something that wouldn't prevent the block being pushed directly on to the ports of the CPU block and radiator.

[​IMG]

Looking around the case there was a significant amount of conveniently placed holes hidden behind the plastic exterior panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the block was marked up and drilled into it's sides.

[​IMG]

There was some deceptively tense moments as holes and channels intersected each other.

[​IMG]

Moar tapping in imersa's favourite thread 6-32 UNC!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With all of that done an initial test fit was in order!

[​IMG]

Now i'm just awaiting some more suppliez, to ensure the immense weight of the block is nicely supported I will fabricate some spacers from 4/6mm acrylic tubing so the full force of 6-32 can be felt without distorting the case.

JR​

6. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

:jawdrop: :dremel: Skills above heavens

7. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Why is this forum so bloody dead now?

THIS THREAD DESERVES BAGILLIONS OF VIEWERS WITH MANY, MANY COMMENTS!

8. Zenator

Zenator Minimodder

I'm still a bit of a ghost here as a case modder, But I can only dream for the moment that I can achieve what you are doing. This is engineering at its best. Well done.:thumb:

Cheers, Zen.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2015
  9. CMos

CMos What's a Dremel?

I'm very curious to how the end result is going to look. So far it looks fantastic!

10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That is one of the best pieces of watercooling engineering I have seen in a long time.

11. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

No updates due a deserved summer vacation ??

12. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks sir

Very quiet as far as engagement goes, but strangely a proper ton of views here still. Regardless thanks for stopping in to chat!

Thanks for the kind words. It's been really fun to take this case that wasn't really suitable for watercooling and create such a beast of a monoblock/water part. Can't wait to fill the final version.

Same my friend, same. Soon, very soon! :D

:rock::rock::rock:

Actually an update was meant to be due sooner.. took all the braiding gear home.. realised I didn't have any wire left.. :D

13. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

Progress is being made (even at LAN), so far it has passed quality control! Expect some updates to come this week, the end is close.

[​IMG]

JR​

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Sha-wing.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sorry. I was holding out until I saw the banjo...:worried:

Looking pretty damn sweet, though.:clap:

16. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

[​IMG]

Before, after and during insomnia we managed to squeeze a lot of effort into getting the cables finished for MATE. With it being such an odd form factor there are certainly some obscurities but we are really pleased with the results. Still using up my stock of MDPC-X and many suppliez from Shakmodz I think the entire Parvum team has been involved in making these.

Single SATA power to Silverstone peripheral, this was a critical one due to it's prominent location when viewed from behind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cloverleaf male to kettle female mains lead, quite an odd one this for the internally mounted PSU. It's been drastically shortened and cleaned up then hit with double MDPC-X SATA sleeve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By far the most annoying was this Silverstone 8-pin to dual PCI 6-pin. Many splits and weird little short wires to sleeve, easily four times the work of a straight 6 to 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was some weird IO connector for the front panel of the case, quite similar to an internal USB except smaller.

[​IMG]

Pretty straight up SATA data, i'm a big fan of latchless SATA's for baby builds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beast of a 24-pin, Silverstone made this super easy with the pinout. Definitely looks weird until you see where it fits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These all tested first time so it's on to final assembly for MATE! Much excite.

JR​

17. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

finally an update, and it's "just" wires
    [​IMG]

18. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

The anxious wait for updates has turned those spaghetti sour...

What you have done with that piece of acrilic is a milestone in pc modding! Otherworldly stuff :jawdrop:

19. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

[​IMG]

Go on then... u can haz small teaser...

[​IMG]

JR​

20. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Outstanding!