1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice SSD, RAM and cooler needed to finish a build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 7 Sep 2015.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Got most of the bits for a new build (giving my current PC to my brother as it will be easier for him to lug to/from uni when needed etc).

Only 3 things left are a new ssd, ram and cooler.

It'll be built in another Parvum case, this time the retail itx model. Got an i3/5 of some sort, msi board, 780gtx and a couple of other bits and bobs.
    Currently thinking of:
    An all in one due to the socket position on the motherboard I've got (it's a MSI Z77IA-E53), leaning towards corsair due to the 5 year warranty (I like a company that has faith in their own products), so maybe a H75?
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cors...-with-120mm-radiator-and-dual-sp120l-pwm-fans

RAM wise I'm thinking one or two of this HyperX 1866mhz CL10:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-FURY...qid=1441654949&sr=8-15&keywords=kingston+fury

Finally for the SSD the Samsung Evo seems to be ok, and a decent warranty on it again which is a big plus:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5...F8&qid=1441655015&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+evo

Any thoughts/opinions/recommendations?
    Looking to get this stuff ordered tomorrow so I can build on Wednesday and not have to use this laptop any longer than needed! :D

2. ajangusjames

ajangusjames What's a Dremel?

I can say from personal experience that the Evo SSD and Fury Ram are both very reliable and aesthetically appealing components. I havent watercooled an ITX motherboard as of yet but from the looks of it the H75 should fit fine.
    Good Luck.

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

George, FWIW I have a 500GB 850 EVO on the shopping list, having just missed a used 256GB on the MP here. I saw there was used 512GBMX100 on the MP today, and luckily someone snapped it up, so I am holding out for the 850 new as it really does the business and has a good rep.

RAM looks good, last sticks I bought (DDR3 1866 Tracers) were that money for 4GB.

Can't comment on the AIO as I've no experience.

Retail Parvum, nice - what colours? I must photograph my custom prototype Parvum ITX and put on BT now it's finished at last.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Good to know, thanks :)

I haven't heard that much about the evo drives, but I know their pro drives were well reviewed and from a quick look these seem pretty decent.
    Yeah RAM prices are always all over the place!

Black and yellow, although it looks more like a green really, fancied a change from the white and orange I had previously, although now my keyboard no longer matches...

5. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

If not extreme overclocking, I would go with the OEM cooler. Contrary to what many believe or may have heard, today's OEM coolers are more than capable of adequately cooling their CPUs even with mild to moderate overclocking. And they are much quieter than the OEMs of yesteryear too. In fact, a common complaint with watercoolers is the excessive fan noise when the fans ramp up.

It is the case's responsibility to ensure a sufficient supply of cool air flows through the case and the Parvum ITX, with support for Front: 1 x 120mm, Rear: 1 x 80mm and Top: 2 x 120mm is no slouch in that department. The CPU cooler need only toss up the CPUs heat into that more-than-ample flow of air. And with a SSD and just 1 or 2 sticks of RAM, you won't have large HDs generating heat or blocking that air flow either.