1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

We glanced at a few of the black sections, laughed, and continued on our merry way! Think we did the downhill - I felt for my friend with the brake issues, good fun though. We're planning on doing all the way round the red next time.

Cheers for the suggestion of Stainburn - turns out that's about 35 minutes from here, sounds like fun, and a good place to learn. I've spent most of the evening watching tutorials - got a few things to try out!

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Did a charity ride on Sunday, was all good bar the people who stole the markers or turned them round. Guy I was riding with shot off an ended up taking a detour/shortcut because of the signs. He ended up first I can third overall. Thought it was all what we call "redways". Nope, mainly bumpy gravel paths didnt dare clip in for most of it lots of motogp foot drops into bends sliding lockups.
    The guy that came second was on a CX bike was surprised how fast we were. Also caught lots of marshalls out being well ahead!

Comedy strava Flyby, im in red did the whole route. Matt the guy I rode with was in blue you can see where it all went wrong. Still claiming he was loads quicker than me. OK he was pulling away well but shortcuts a shortcut.

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#386155551,7L0DFw==

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Got knocked off my old dutch bike on the Fulham Road last night by an Uber pulling out from behind a parked car without signalling.. Torn LCL and cracked fibula...

Problem is, my adrenaline kicked in so I thought I was fine and sent the driver away.. then took two steps and crumbled in agony.

Plus side, the bike is fine though :thumb:

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Speak to Uber and see if there was a pickup or a drop off at that location??

Glad the bike is okay though. Not bothered about you, you're mostly metal anyway aren't you?

5. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Alright guys, I'm looking in to getting a bike through the cycle to work scheme. I just moved back to the UK and I've left my dying GT there.

I'm looking between 500 and 1000 quid, any recommendations from the following site? I really want a Kona, I've wanted one for years, but I'm willing to listen to reason. The cubes look good value.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/hardtail-mountain-bikes/price/489-1035

6. Cookie Monster

Afternoon chaps, I'm thinking about closing down my Bit-Tech account, if I do I'll need to transfer the ownership of the Strava Club over to someone. Anyone willing to take it on? It doesn't cost or require anything, just have it attached to your Strava account. I have the option to make someone admin, I'm presuming once that's done I can maybe transfer ownership.

What do you intend to use the bike for as that will usually push you in a certain direction. Also there is a lot of difference between £500 and £1000.

7. Digi

Doh. Not sure why I didn't write that. Trails and off road for 80% of it. Well the limit for my company is 1k I'd like to spend around 700-900 to narrow it down..

PS: why would you bother closing your bit tech account down? Just take a break. I did for a year or so.

8. legoman

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *Darth Vader style*

Im happy to take it on if you want

9. GMC

GMC Minimodder

What's strava ?

10. Cookie Monster

If the trails are twisty trail centre then stick with 650b wheels, if it's long xc loops go with a 29er. As long as you're over £500 most things should be decent.

As for closing my account, I'm really beginning to hate the place and a number of the people that frequent it. There is too much moaning or "rep bomb for e-peen" crap going on and very little helping each other anymore. Also I don't think I post enough (apart from in this thread) to warrant having an account.

Cheers I appreciate it, and, which one would you be?

Edit, done and done, made you admin, made you the owner and left :D I've sent you a request to transfer the Bit-Tech group too.

It's a mobile app to record your bike rides, there's a Bit-Tech group. http://app.strava.com/clubs/26500

Last edited: 8 Sep 2015
  11. Digi

Thanks for the advice. It's all twisty trails so I'll go with 27.5'' 's. I figured that might be the kind of recommendation I'd get, at that level it is pretty similar kit. I think I'll go for the Kona Blast Mountain 2016 or the reduced Cube Acid 27.5. Leave some elbow room for accessories.

As I said, just don't come on here for a while then. There reason I have a red bar is due to this same discussion some years back where I said I'd rather have negative a few billion than ever care about rep and e-peen.
    Turns out it's turned around and I was seen as looking for attention by having a red bar. Hah, you can't win with anyone sometimes. :)

12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

It has changed massively since 2003!

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thats my head, wrists and stomach... I've surprisingly never borked my knees before..

14. legoman

Yeah sorry may have helped me saying that! Sorry to see you go though :(

How have you not done your knees? I cant think of one part of my body ive not hit from a biking accident.

15. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

Another one who'll be sorry to see you go Cookie Monster.
    I may not have signed up here for long but was a long time lurker and have always thought that you were willing to give the best advice you could freely and in an informative way(along with a few others).

Your input,especially here, will be sorely missed.

yours wecrookie:confused:

16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Just joined the bit tech strava club. Did not know there were a few londoners knocking about, may have to have a blast on the specialized to liven up my normal routes :)

17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Cookie, I know how you feel, I basically check this thread and occasionally the demote, purchase and vids of awesome but that's it these days.

As for Strava, I'm now back in the country after 5 weeks in South East Asia so will be trying to put some more London rides on the boards, maybe see some of you around and about at some point.

My new commute will be into Tower Hill so I need to see if I need a new ride in which should be good fun.

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Thanks for the reply gents, I was looking at £700 for a new ride, I finally found out that i can only apply for a max of £650, Shame, as i had somewhat decided on the Boardman Team HT 650B. I'm going to see what else is around for my new price point, see what tickles my fancy.

Cheers,
    Sam

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

This has been driving me nuts. I replaced my chain and my freewheel. But when I was riding I was hearing this loud banging noise, only in high gears. Only when peddling hard.
    I didn't know what it was, the old derailleurs ? chain didn't match the freewheel? Something else worn out?
    So here I am with the bike upside down on my floor. With me using my foot to move the pedals. When I finally noticed a light vibration when there shouldn't have been any.

I don't know how it happened, but the outer chainring has a damaged tooth. It's shorter, but it's also wider. So the chain was getting stuck on it, until it would hit the front derailleurs and then be forced loose. Easy enough to fix with a dremel, but unbelievably annoying when riding!

[​IMG]

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well today was nice.

Went to Stainburn, exploded 2 inner tubes and bumped into the Bikeradar mob testing hardtails.

Also finally managed to ride off the slab without stopping and psyching myself up first, felt like a biking God so I did...