1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PowerColor outs beastly Devil 13 Dual Core R9 390

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Sep 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

This should probably read: "As with most multi-GPU designs, this GDDR5 VRAM is NOT shared between the two GPUs".

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Should it? The GDDR5 VRAM is shared equally between the two GPUs: they get half each. You can't have a single GPU use all 16GB (at least, you couldn't in the olden days - who knows if DX12 will change all that in the future.)

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That's exactly what I said: there is no shared 16GB pool, each GPU has its own separate 8GB pool. If one GPU needs to access something that is only resident in the other GPU's pool, then currently it needs to be passed via the main system memory. In the future with DX12, this could be passed directly between GPUs over the PCIe bus.

5. Gareth Halfacree

And it's exactly what I said, too: the 16GB is shared equally between the two GPUs, with each receiving half.

Would it make my meaning clearer if I edited it to read "split between" rather than "shared between"? Bearing in mind, of course, that "split" is a synonym of "share"...

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Good job they include a £100 mouse in the package, I was in two minds up to that point, ;)

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I'd like to see something like this bundled with a recommended PSU

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

'Split' would be more accurate. 'Shared' implies that both GPUs share access (i.e. both have equal access to any part of that 16GB) to a pool of 16GB, where no such 16GB pool even exists outside of biggest-specsheet-number boasting.

9. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Whilst most dictionaries, including those online, will state split and share to be synonyms it is not strictly true. To share would mean to use together whereas split would be to separate equally.

The common dictionary is full of these supposed synonyms, 'happy' and 'glad' being one of the more common ones that seems to come up. If you want a 'real' dictionary however be prepared to pay a few grand for it. I have one for translation work.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Split, shared? Who cares? Some people must have been really bored today, to pick an argument over something so trivial.

11. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

And they say the willy-waving so prevalent over the internet in the past, is dead...

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Willy - waving on the internet increased 1000% once chat roulette went online

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Why would they bother to release this when a dual Fury GPU is in the works? I suppose it may end up being cheaper. Also, at most, it'll only achieve a 5% performance boost over a 295X.

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Because people who have no clue can increase their e-peen and say they have more VRAM than a TITAN X? :D

15. Gomfs

Gomfs What's a Dremel?

funky card... i will give it at least credit to be kind of unique but as Pete J says... dual Fury X or Nano would mostly give a better result.

Razer Ouroboros with it? so now Razer is so desperate to get rid of that piece of #"¤&%¤ that they throw em on the gpu producers to bundle with their products...
    who wants a mouse where at least 40% is defect? (at least what we got in retour before we removed it from the shop) and the software have known major bugs that Razer have had no interest of fixing for 2 years?
    talking about adding bad flavour to the product... but guess the "l33t-kidz" don't care since dad pays anyway and its a Razer so its "uber-l33t"...

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I wonder how it plays AOTS....

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Probably not very well as the Alpha has no SLI or CFX support. Stardock in general has quiet poor SLI and CFX support.

Be better buying a fury x if ashes Alpha is what your playing.

Not sure why you would buy this over 2 fury x. Only reason would be lack of space.

Guess this will be at least a £1000.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its 699 euro ;)