1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Can you limit WLAN bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 9 Sep 2015.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Wondered if anyone can help with this..

I am currently on PlusNet ADSL (no fiber in area..). I am used to Virgins 120+ service, so the drop in speed is a biggie for me.

I am not sure, realistically, what I should be able to do on my connection at the same time.
    With virgin I could game, stream (the game), watch iplayer/4od, browse the net, spotify, etc etc all at the same time with no slow down.
    Obviously I know my new connection can't do it all, but what should I be expecting it to be able to handle?

As of now, I find I can't play a game while someone else is browsing the internet. I find that, just ridiculous.
    Even 56k way back when was better able to handle that.

On my network I have my router-modem (Technicolor TG582n) provided by PlusNet. It provides wired connection to my PC and wireless to everything else.
    I know for a fact something (or everything) on the WLAN is lagging my games out.
    If I start lagging - 1000+ ping - and I turn off WLAN on the router. My ping drops back to normal.

Is there a way to, and would it even work/help, split the bandwidth between wired/wireless?
    So 1/3 to wireless and 2/3 to wired?
    Someone mentioned QoS, but I couldn't figure out how it would work/help and my router is locked
    from doing that afaik - plusnet do it 'automatically' supposedly.
    I am willing to get a better router-modem (if really needed) but not more than around £30 worth.

Anyone know a solution?
    Current speed is below.

Just as a note; turning off anything using wireless when I game, isn't an option. It is other peoples things and they need to use the connection too. List of devices that use WLAN;
    iPhone4, iPhone5, iMac, iPad, NowTV.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

[​IMG]

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you might need to change the router for a more configurable one

3. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Maybe, but want to know if it is possible to do what I want, what it is 'called' if it has a proper technical term if you like, and if it would be worth it at all.
    Then I can find a router-modem that supports it. :)

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

this guy has a write up about doing what you want

5. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

I am certainly curious if they are only browsing the net. Sounds like they might be streaming, and then I guess that article explains why that might slaughter your pings. It may also be simply that your router is under-powered and struggles to maintain many devices and connection types. If your other users have cloud backup programs then that could kill you too, as your upstream will be heavily limited - and if the upstream is saturated then your downstream rates go to hell.

You mentioned QOS, and it is certainly supposed to help with your particular problem. The new Asus routers, for instance, allow you to choose priorities for traffic types and gaming is listed. I bought one for my new house but haven't moved in yet, so I can't tell you how effective it is. The traffic packet identification may well be flawed somehow. It certainly matches your need in theory.

You will have to dig through models to work out which would support QOS like this. the expensive / new ones do, but I'm not sure how it translates into the more cost effective ranges. I'd be interested to hear if others have used QOS in the wild.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2015
  6. -=ByteMan=-

-=ByteMan=- What's a Dremel?

I believe the newer ASUS wireless routers, can throttle bandwitdh on a per device basis.

:dremel: