1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware CM Storm Quick Fire XTi Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 14 Sep 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

This ticks every box i am looking for in a keyboard... that price though :(

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

How much?

They're having a laugh.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Very cool but really, is this where mech keyboards are headed? It's one thing to have a nice backlit keyboard, but to be paying all that extra money for a fancy light show is a little ridiculous. Are CoolerMaster really that brazen?

Edit:

Me too, after seeing that price. LOL.

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I don't disagree, but out of interest do you guys also consider this to be overpriced, for example?

Or alternatively, what could a keyboard do to ever justify this price (if anything)?

6. David

To be honest, Matt, I can't see me ever paying more than £100 for a keyboard. Given the explosion in the market over the last few years, component costs must have dropped considerably for the manufacturers, whilst dev costs really can't have increased that much - the same board as a couple of years ago but with coloured back lighting isn't going to be a significant outlay on R&D, yet the price has more than doubled? :eyebrow:

Is CM just expecting us to grease up and bend over?

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Fair enough. I do think there's good reason to invest in a keyboard if it's something you make frequent use of, but I also agree that above £100 is a serious amount of cash for the purpose! That said, I would argue that this is actually quite a different keyboard to the standard XT. The cost of dual coloured LEDs is probably small, but being able to program and store lighting and macro keys for almost every key, across five profiles, requires a significant upgrade to the onboard processor and memory. Also, component costs may not have fallen; I can't be certain but I have heard that the demand for Cherry MX switches is outstripping the supply rate, which could actually make them more expensive. Food for thought, anyway :)

8. David

They've already done the legwork on the lighting pattern storage and macros on other boards. i.e. The Rapid-i. Adding colour to that doesn't strike me as a great deal of work.

I hadn't heard about a shortage in standard Cherry switches but when Corsair are churning out aluminium framed boards with all the bells and whistles and include RGB switches for around the same price (which is still hideous IMO), the XTi price looks like a huge rip off.

9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Snake Oil.

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

The design also means you can access and change every setting on the fly and never have to worry about your customisations being blocked in games, especially tournaments, that don't allow software-based macros.

Isn't that to allow "cheats" in games?

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I find myself agreeing with everything Spreadie says. He must be such a swell guy. :lol:

I'd consider even £100 to be a lot to spend on a mech keyboard (the most I've ever spent is £80), but the way I see it, there are really only two different markets here: real mech keyboards (like rare/vintage or custom models, and Topre etc.) which have a cult following, and then all the niche "gamer" stuff that glows in the dark.

There was a point in time when mech keyboards were marketed for typists, and whilst that's no longer the case they still hold great appeal for those who couldn't care less what the "top" models have to offer gamers, so yeah, a great many people will be happy paying £60 for a good Cherry G80 or a little more for something more compact.

12. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yep, bit pricey. Otherwise looks good, nice to see CM listens to the enthusiasts regarding style and layout.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It took a hell of a lot of work to add colour to mine! ha ha
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Sep 2015
  14. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

TKL format, ditch the macros and make it a wee bit cheaper then I'm interested.

Tags: Add Tags